PDA

View Full Version : Sheet metal combination machines

chevyIIpost
05-22-2008, 01:59 PM
I am looking for knowlegeable feed back on three in one sheet metal, slip roll, brake, and shear machines as sold by eastwood, grizzly or others. This is for home shop use on personal projects. I understand that the real stuff is much better but my square footage is as limited as my budget. Any one that has one or has used one of these machines please provide your opinion. I have not been able to touch, feel or use one of these "universal" units and am wondering if it is functional or a waste of money.:question: :question:

dhondagod
05-23-2008, 02:46 AM
A guy that had a shop next door to mine had one. I used it a few times to make some small sheet metal parts (boxes, panels, etc) worked great for that. They definatly have their limitations but for small space they work as good as they can.

Also something to consider is they give you exposure to the equipment so you can make a better assesment of your needs when upgrading later.

My .02

Chris:cool:

Garage Dog 65
05-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Ted,

I also have limited space in my basement shop and use a triple machine. The one major thing I don't like is in the brake function. It's not the standard function/operation like a purpose built unit and so it's difficult to use for exact bends. On this unit you slide the sheet between 2 v dies and squeeze. You also have little control over the bend radius beyond adding a couple pieces of shim stock in there on the inside - and then you quickly reach the machines max bend capability. It's fine for basic/general work.

Jim

chevyIIpost
05-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Jim' Hello and thanxs for the reply. What machine do you have? What is it rated for and what will it really do? Most machines say 20 ga. but eastwood's says 18ga. yet it looks like the others.

wiedemab
05-23-2008, 04:55 PM
We have one of the little "Woodward Fab" ones. It's handy to have around. The shear and press brake part works pretty well. I'm not too fond of the slip roll because it's hard to wind it a full revolution - especially by yourself.

Garage Dog 65
05-24-2008, 04:23 PM
It's this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43353

States 18 gauge steel max - but it will easily bend 16 and maybe 14. Shearing function is the limit unit. I have cut 16 with it - but it's really a tug to get it done. 18 is tough but doable. I just really don't like the design of the brake function and it's basically just trial/error type work - so I may end up purchasing a stand alone unit for that. The shear is fine and roller is fine IMO.

Jim

chevyIIpost
05-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanxs Jim, I have a pexto SP-24 that I have salvaged. I am missing a few of the fingers to have a full set. (still looking) Want the slip roll for trans tunnels and so on and shear for misc. I have the plasma for big cuts. Any body else have a unit like this????