PDA

View Full Version : Added a duct in the front valance for the intercooler

camcojb
08-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Since almost half the air hitting the intercooler is blocked on a 69 Camaro by the front bumper and valance Pascual and I decided to put an opening in the valance for more air. We are going to add a screen on the backside and a small air diffuser to help the air up a bit into the intercooler. He also completely fabbed in sides to the duct for strength and to look finished as compared to just cutting a hole. He also removed the flattened area at the nose for the front license plate.

http://www.camcojb.com/twinturbo/IMG_0750.JPG

camcojb
08-06-2005, 02:36 PM
another view

http://www.camcojb.com/twinturbo/IMG_0758.JPG

camcojb
08-06-2005, 02:37 PM
back side

http://www.camcojb.com/twinturbo/IMG_0751.JPG

Van B
08-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Nice.

BC69
08-06-2005, 03:02 PM
That looks really nice, and it should help get some good airflow. I think thats a trick modification to any 69'. I cant wait to see that finished.

Do you need a front plate in your state??

Tim

camcojb
08-06-2005, 03:11 PM
That looks really nice, and it should help get some good airflow. I think thats a trick modification to any 69'. I cant wait to see that finished.

Do you need a front plate in your state??

Tim

Legally yes, a front plate is required. I have not had a front plate on any of my cars or trucks since the 80's though, and have had no problems.

I did not want to do a duct particularly, but it will be a big benefit in this case and I think when I get the complete front end on the car it will look like it belongs there.

Jody

Musclerodz
08-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Looks nice. Are you going to install a pan to help direct the air better to the intercooler?

Mike

camcojb
08-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Looks nice. Are you going to install a pan to help direct the air better to the intercooler?

Mike

There will be something to direct the air up.
Jody

jack67rs
08-06-2005, 05:17 PM
very cool! looks like a factory vent, not distracting at all.

BC69
08-06-2005, 07:16 PM
I did not want to do a duct particularly, but it will be a big benefit in this case and I think when I get the complete front end on the car it will look like it belongs there.

I think its one of those things, like the Mules hood luvres that will make people think "Hmm...what is under there???" Something subtle but classy, and it truly looks part of the car and factory. I like it.

Tim

907rs
08-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Looks good, Jody. :thumbsup: Pasqual is a very talented craftsman.

Blown353
08-07-2005, 04:43 AM
That's not really Pasqual's work-- the duct was not hand-formed, but rather hoof-formed by the goats that roam the front pen in Pasqual's yard. :P

hotwheels
08-07-2005, 07:23 AM
that looks really good....great job

evilzee28
08-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Since almost half the air hitting the intercooler is blocked on a 69 Camaro by the front bumper and valance Pascual and I decided to put an opening in the valance for more air. We are going to add a screen on the backside and a small air diffuser to help the air up a bit into the intercooler. He also completely fabbed in sides to the duct for strength and to look finished as compared to just cutting a hole. He also removed the flattened area at the nose for the front license plate.

http://www.camcojb.com/twinturbo/IMG_0750.JPG

Hi Jody, when you say you're gonna put a small screen on the backside, was this going to be made from fine aluminium/stainless mesh? The reason that I ask this, is that we fit a lot of body kits to rice rockets & they always want a mesh screen fitted in the vents on the bumpers. The problem is that mesh won't actually allow as much air to pass through it as you would think. As an experiment, cut a sample of mesh, turn on your airline & feel the air pressure blowing on your hand, then blow air through the mesh & feel how much air passes through it with your hand on the backside of the mesh. You'll find that it's minimal. I'd hate to see you get any problems because of that & to cause any damage to the motor. If you were'nt gonna use mesh, then no problems. :thumbsup:

camcojb
08-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Hi Jody, when you say you're gonna put a small screen on the backside, was this going to be made from fine aluminium/stainless mesh? The reason that I ask this, is that we fit a lot of body kits to rice rockets & they always want a mesh screen fitted in the vents on the bumpers. The problem is that mesh won't actually allow as much air to pass through it as you would think. As an experiment, cut a sample of mesh, turn on your airline & feel the air pressure blowing on your hand, then blow air through the mesh & feel how much air passes through it with your hand on the backside of the mesh. You'll find that it's minimal. I'd hate to see you get any problems because of that & to cause any damage to the motor. If you were'nt gonna use mesh, then no problems. :thumbsup:

I wasn't 100% sold on the screen anyway; now I doubt I'll use one.

Thanks for the info!:thumbsup:

Jody

Musclerodz
08-07-2005, 05:01 PM
The screen mesh will set up turbulance. When I take an old tube and fabric airplane fuselage to get sandblasted, It don't weigh hardly anything, but the drag off the tubes is like pulling a brick wall. I would run without it if possible.

Mike

CAMAROBOY69
08-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Thats just awesome! Great idea and excellent work by Pascual Marquez. :thumbsup:
I would also go without the screen.