PDA

View Full Version : New Guy from IL

62fairlane
07-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Well I already have posted a couple questions but I guess I should chime in here on my project. I am building a 1962 daily driver Ford Fairlane 2 door. Currently it is my driver with nothing to impressive. I swapped in a larger six and a t5 trans along with a modern ignition and a weber carb (soon to be holley 350) I am a mechanical engineering student and got this project approved as my sr design project for my group. we are fully CAD'ing in the chassis and suspension we are designing for it. I have already picked up wheels (2001 mustang bullit's) and brakes (96 gt for now) We are going to use the mustang spindles with a upper balljoint adaptor on them ala factory five cars.

While a twin turbo would be neat and all we are staying with the six (getting a blow through carb setup shortly) as it gives a LOW weight (around 2600) and a 50/50 weight balance (or within a couple percent) for the front we are doing a new crossmember with new arm mounts for the rack conversion and new spindles. out back we are going with a trianglated 4 link. all 4 corners are getting airbags on them (currently the rear has them already) car is getting some body work cleared up currently but shoul dbe presentable by the end of the semester. Looking at maybe going with a hydroboost setup on it too.

hotwheels
07-31-2005, 07:37 PM
welcome to lateral g........you fairlane project's sounds awesome......would love to see some pictures of it....
Reading this thread, got my imagination running......since you are looking at a blow through carb, why not turbocharge the 6cyl? I think that would be way cool and it would be impressive to show....

hotwheels of insanemustangs

XcYZ
07-31-2005, 09:17 PM
I am a mechanical engineering student and got this project approved as my sr design project for my group.

Right on, that's great. Welcome to the site. It will be cool to follow along with it, please keep us posted. :thumbsup:

62fairlane
08-01-2005, 02:33 PM
I am doing a blow through turbo :D I have a T3 off an SVO mustang (.60/.63) and a Saab 900 intercooler. the IC fits behind my grill perfectly. not high power but good enough for a year round daily driver (esp with these gas prices) once I get everything sorted out and find a job I am looking at a south american alloy race head for it with roller valvetrain and prob an EFI conversion.

hotwheels
08-01-2005, 06:51 PM
awesome............that turbo is gonna be perfect... :thumbsup:

62fairlane
08-01-2005, 07:03 PM
yeah I am not looking for tons of power....just around 200...of course more is better :D

it is a smogger motor so boost friendly 7.5:1 compression..and it only has about 1200 miles on it. just need to finish milling out the pockets on teh manifold and find a bonnent for the carb and I am set

hotwheels
08-02-2005, 08:10 AM
sweet......you gonna build your own bonnet or do you have a line on one yet? I know a company that make's them, i believe they run about 169 buck's (u.s.)

62fairlane
08-02-2005, 04:02 PM
I got a line on a local one. it needs an outlet welded on it (has a goofy flat oval outlet to bolt up something too) getting it off a budy that pulled a couple from some old trucks at work...best part is it is $30 even with teh cost of welding on a tube to it it is still cheap. or I could just fab a steel mating flange for it and bolt it up that way (super cheap then)

hotwheels
08-03-2005, 07:31 AM
that is an awesome price man...........

promax/vennom#16
12-05-2005, 03:34 PM
The neat things about these little rides is there is only a handful of custom 62's out there! I bought one 15 years ago, it took 5 years to complete it, and I sold it this past Dec. to a guy in Ohio. It was a prostreeter with a 351w roller motor in it. It was on the cover of the Oct. 2005 Summit Catalog and it also made it in a couple of issues of Car Craft. Best of luck with this ride ! One thing is for sure , If you enter it at a carshow or go to a track with it , chances are you will not see another one there! :

62fairlane
12-05-2005, 05:30 PM
yeah when I saw that summit cover with the teardrop hood I thought "oh another 63 Tbolt clone..." then saw the grill and bumper and was like "kickass a 62!!"

one thing is for sure....the weather got cold here finally.. (in the 20's) and the chokeless holley is being a pain to get fired up in the 15* mornings. but once warmed up this thing is really pulling strong now!!! def need to get this intercooler welded up next week!!

V8TV
12-08-2005, 08:49 PM
DO you have any pics of your car?