PDA

View Full Version : tri-4 bars and bushing placement

62fairlane
07-28-2005, 05:52 PM
I am working on a trianglated 4 link on my 62 and was looking at jonny joints for the bar ends. now I am told if I run a poly bush on the parallel bars they will be fine and that the angled bars only need the jonny joint on one end? I am just wondering exactly what is needed and what is gained over each option.

BTW I love the fairlane chassis....the rear suspension bolts out for easy cross bar work and the front arm mounts boltout too....almost too easy to mod

TravisB
07-29-2005, 08:13 AM
that is true you wouldnt have to I guess.....I would run them everywhere JMO

62fairlane
07-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Keep in mind I am a college student (this is a design project I am working on for class) so spending $70 a pop for jonny joints vs $10 for a poly bush makes a big difference when you times that by 8.

sinned
07-29-2005, 07:21 PM
How about running rod ends on the parallel bars?

62fairlane
07-29-2005, 07:32 PM
I would like to have a bushing that will have some compliance as I drive this car about 12K a year (daily driver) besides the parallel bars are the easy ones to put ends on but the angled ones are the killer as they need some flex to them. currently Iam running a 2 link with a panhard and while it hooks good it is far from a decent suspension (was a weekend hack job....going on 3 years now)

Marcus SC&C
08-30-2005, 10:04 PM
How about keeping the panhard bar and making the upper links parallel? I`ve spent a LOT of time fixing various issues and replacing the C4L suspension on GM cars. JJs at one end of each link should be fine for a street car. I`d also recoment forgetting about the poly altogether and using a nice high durometer rubber. Prefab ends with firm rubber bushings are available cheap from a lot of circle track suppliers. Marcus

race-rodz
08-30-2005, 11:04 PM
any reason you are set on the 4 bar set up? i would probably look into modding the 2 link and installing a adj tourque arm.... try a lil research into late model camaro/ mustang aftermarket parts/forums for more info. this was my original plan for my driver mustang.

62fairlane
09-04-2005, 04:44 PM
mostly I am not liking having a panhard bar as there isn't alot of room betwene the gastank and axle for it. Also with as low as I have the car I wanna stay away from a torque arm since I am not sure it is going to give me the ground clearance I need.