PDA

View Full Version : for you turbo guys?

Majik16106
07-27-2005, 09:02 AM
im just curious, for those of you who have finished and driven, or ridden in a twin turbo small block car... how insane is it? i mean, i imagine fast but ive only ever been in turbo imports, thats mostly what ive worked on. so with less lag and more power id imagine you could put 120mph past you before you realized you hit the gas, running a t56 and say a 3.55 rear end? i would think vipers, o3 cobras, supras.. etc.. would be like no problem to embarrass. just lookin for some first hand experience or stories or whatever i guess, id like to know what im getting into. im starting to think i might going overkill for what i want to do.

XcYZ
07-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Well, after getting a ride in the Mule (with the boost only at 7 ~ 8psi), it only fueled the fire to get mine going. I was amazed how tame the car was going down the highway and yet how hard it pulled at WOT. I would generally accociate that kind of torque with a high compression big block. :thumbsup:

907rs
07-27-2005, 09:10 AM
How's this for a description? http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=886

Y-TRY
07-27-2005, 06:12 PM
It's fun. :yes:

Majik16106
07-27-2005, 10:12 PM
ok, yah, sounds great, but not great for me, i was planning on a twin'd mopar 366. but stock rod length, stock stroke, and 8.5ish to 1 compression.even at 10psi im still lookin at what 700hp, maybe high 5 to low 600rwhp. now thats not the 800rwhp ya'll are making, but still, id like the car to sprint, and i mean flat out run from 60- 130ish.low speed 30mph burnouts are cool with me. let her loose in 2nd and get crooked. I have the z car for road racing, i wanted something fun for the highway and around town. my z makes a tad under 400rwhp on pump gas and 18psi, weighs 2400lbs full of gas with me in it so needless to say its fun, but i want my muscle car. i dunno, 2 to4e's with say a 60ish trim on the 366should be ok, ill just have to run drag radials, the car sits hella low.. so it should be cool at speed, i've got the aerodynamics down. the only thing left is to figure out this motor and drivetrain.

edit- ive seen some vids of TT vipers and vettes, and i love watching the speedo, it just flat out swings across the mph, thats what i want, something where it seems mannered (so not a big block) and then POW, my friends are like " what in the $%^# did you do to this thing?"

Jims78elky
07-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Scott-

Whats going on with your 406? did you get the twin-turbo set up on?
or still sorting out the build.. :_paranoid

Just wondering..

-Jim :D

XcYZ
07-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Jim, my TT 434 is coming together slow but sure. Having a baby doesn't help the budget or free time. lol

hotwheels
07-27-2005, 10:26 PM
i have got to tell ya, there is simply nothing like it in my humble opinion..........i have had my twinturbo'd car for a couple year's plus and i would and will, never use another type of power adder......the power is just simply insane...........

hotwheels :thumbsup:

67Sally
07-28-2005, 09:00 PM
................ Having a baby doesn't help the budget or free time. lol

I'm living that right now too.
W.

hotwheels
07-28-2005, 10:58 PM
my kid's are just on the edge of moving out.......16 and 17....... :unibrow:

Majik16106
07-30-2005, 09:50 PM
So let me ask a few more questions..

1) What are you guys using for a clutch set up? how hard is the pedal? on/off engagement or slippable.

2) is your bottom end all forged? or are some of you using heavy duty cast cranks? I've heard the heavy steel cranks can take like 900hp, and im shooting for a good bit under that. what kind of compression ratio for pump gas? my 366 is like 8.3:1

hotwheels
07-31-2005, 07:45 PM
forgive my ignorance, but i am not sure what type of car you are building...ford, chevy, pontiac, etc........
personally on clutch's, with the horsepower you are looking at, i would look at a spec clutch......currently i am running a spec 3 and it is supposed to be good up to 600hp at the flywheel.....if you are above that, look at a stage 4 or 5......out of all the clutch's i have messed with, the pedal play on this clutch is excellent....it is smooth and doesn't kill your leg driving it on the street....i have a friend that own's a company called mentaladdictionmotorsport's and he sell's spec's for an awesome price.....

With the twinturbo's.....i wouldn't go anything under 8.0 to 1.......if you can grab that 8.3 to 1......you will be fine on 93 octane fuel......just don't slam alot of boost into it....keep that around 10 or under, till you get race fuel in it, then you can up the boost for some serious play...

hotwheels

Majik16106
08-01-2005, 09:22 AM
well, shouldnt matter too much for those questions, although i appreciate the answer, but its a mopar.

People have suggested the centerforce, and passon says all he uses is mcleod set ups. I dont believe spec makes clutches for older 4 speed set ups do they? Im more curious about how it actually feels to drive on them, then what to use.

Also ive been poking around some of the procharger stuff, i might go that route instead of turbo...

Y-TRY
08-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I went with a pretty strong bottom end to support the power, as well as a MoTown block. I think my compression came out to 8.1:1 after leaving some deck on the block. The JE catalog says 8.33:1.

I'm currently running the Centerforce Dual Friction and it's holding on well right now, although I don't have a ton of miles on it. I have a manual clutch and like how it feels. It allows me to shift real quick with no lag. If only the TKO would let me slam gears like the Muncies would. I kinda have to ask it "please" instead of demanding a 2-3 shift. But full-throttle shifts are CRAZY with this set up.

The ProCharger idea is good and slightly less expensive. You'll love that one, too.

hotwheels
08-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Driving the twinturbo'd car is a rush............you can drive it to the grocery store and to the movie's.....but when you want, you can floor it and the car goes crazy.......it has to be the most wild feeling in the world.......i have been in supercharged car's, nitrous car's and some bad big block car's, but i have yet to find anything funner then the turbo's........No matter how many more car's i build, if i put a power adder on any of them, it will be turbo's.....

hotwheels

Y-TRY
08-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Driving the twinturbo'd car is a rush............you can drive it to the grocery store and to the movie's.....but when you want, you can floor it and the car goes crazy.......it has to be the most wild feeling in the world.......i have been in supercharged car's, nitrous car's and some bad big block car's, but i have yet to find anything funner then the turbo's........No matter how many more car's i build, if i put a power adder on any of them, it will be turbo's.....

hotwheels

Amen.

Streetking
08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Ok, here is my Lexus motor..812rwh..total [email protected] w/a 6spd
Red Viper is going in Jan. to Underground Racing for thier TT set up, should be 950rwh on pump, 1300rwh on C16..

SW

http://www.fototime.com/4C0896D479A10E7/orig.jpg

camcojb
08-01-2005, 11:40 PM
You are my hero SW!:hail:

Jody

hotwheels
08-02-2005, 08:09 AM
streetking, that is bad ass man..............wow :hail:

Streetking
08-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the props. Here it is in action, I'm going back to the track soon. If I can get it to hook in 2nd gear, it will go 9's..

SW
Copy& Paste

http://home.earthlink.net/~sc300tt3/SW%2010[1][email protected]

907rs
08-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Cool video SW! :thumbsup: That car really covers a lot of ground.......Quickly!