PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using these Autometer gauges?

2Bad4Ya
04-03-2008, 07:14 AM
I seen these on the automete site and was curious if anyone was using them? Was thinking about this kit for a 68 camaro, any input?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/eccStoreFront/product_images/100/182-1103_L.jpg

slyck68
04-10-2008, 12:28 PM
My initial thought when these first came out was "finally, I've found my gauges!" However, upon seeing them in person I felt they looked very cheap and a little unfinished. Not the quality I would expect most would put in their vehicles. It is a good idea for a modern design, Auto Meter just didn't do as good a job as you would expect from them. This is just my opinion, however. You need to see them up close for yourself. I hope this helps.

2Bad4Ya
04-10-2008, 01:31 PM
I do agree, I saw some this weekend at the autofair. Sadly the look like a ricer setup from autozone in real life imo. I was hoping they hada more muscle looking combo, kind of like classic instruments or even the old school greenlines.

Meter Man
04-24-2008, 04:56 PM
2Bad4Ya & slyck68,

I'm sorry to hear that the styling on the MCX series isn't to your liking. Is there something in particular that you didn't like about them? Did you see them in a store, on a car, or on display at a show? We have several other styles available, perhaps I might be able to suggest another series that might be closer to something you would be interested in or to answer any questions that you may have.

04-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Meter man what gauges do you recommend for a 1970 chevelle
I would like to get 5" is that possible?
I liked what red line did on that chevelle that was LP GAS they put them in the the original cluster and they looked cool.

Meter Man
05-01-2008, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the question. I was involved with coordinating the instruments for the build on ProPane. The larger instruments that are used in that dash panel are the 3 3/8" size. The 3 3/8" fuel level gauge is a custom piece that we do not make. Redline Gauge Works utilized various components that we manufacture to create a one off piece for that vehicle. The smaller instruments are 2 1/16" size. I am not familiar with the specifics of what modifications were made to the panel to accommodate the instruments. In trying to use the stock dash panel the catch is going to be the third 3 3/8" sized hole. The only combination that I can think of would be to utilize the Designer Black Series Instruments and choose the 3 3/8" Tach #1490, Electric Speedo #1480, and Quad gauge #1412. That leaves you with 3 additional small gauge holes. However, there aren't too many additional options in that series that aren't covered with that set, maybe Boost #1471 and clock #1484? Otherwise, I would probably recommend some supplemental gauges from the Sport-Comp line as being the closest match.

Also, I believe that Covan's Classic has a nice panel replacement designed to house our instruments for that vehicle. That might give you some more flexibility in terms of instrument design choice without all the dash panel customization work.

If black faced instruments aren't your preference, let me know and I can make alternate suggestions.

slyck68
05-01-2008, 05:56 PM
2Bad4Ya & slyck68,

I'm sorry to hear that the styling on the MCX series isn't to your liking. Is there something in particular that you didn't like about them? Did you see them in a store, on a car, or on display at a show? We have several other styles available, perhaps I might be able to suggest another series that might be closer to something you would be interested in or to answer any questions that you may have.

I think the design was actually very nice. I like the overall layout, however these gauges look a little too "plastic", especially the chrome bezel. I would say they looked more on par with the AutoGage line than the Auto Meter line. However, I have been nothing but satisfied with your products in the past and in no way did I mean to insult the brand as a whole. I was simply stating my opinion on this particular model.

Meter Man
05-01-2008, 09:55 PM
slyck68,

Thanks for the reply. Opinions are welcome. :thumbsup: We offer a lot of different instrument styles with the specific idea that people have different tastes. :) I was interested in what you didn't like about the design so that we can pass that information, along with the input we receive from our other customers, to our product development staff to keep in mind for future designs. Your input was helpful. I assume when you say the "bezel" that you actually mean what we refer to as the "retainer" which on these gauges is the chrome accent "X" piece on the dial that also forms the support for the lens? I was asking where you saw them in person because they have only recently started shipping and many of the pieces on show displays are still prototypes that don't have the final production parts fitted.

slyck68
05-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Yes, I was referring to the "X". That is what drew me to these gauges in the first place, I just loved the layout. We're always looking for something a little different from everyone else. I saw them in person at my local speed shop a few months back. Perhaps they were the first batch and they have been refined since then. Personally, if you ran a silver bezel like the Ultra Lites I would already have these babies in my car. Just a thought. I'm glad you listen to customer feedback and I appreciate your professionalism! No wonder your products are held to such a high standard.

72blackbird
05-19-2008, 12:24 PM
They may be very common now, but IMO there is no substitute for Autometer Ultra-Lites. I've run the 2 5/8" oil pressure and water temp gauges in the stock dash w/ a 5" tach- they looked so nice I had to upgrade to the whole set. I'm working on a NASCAR-style aluminum dash so I can fit the 2 5/8" fuel pressure, oil temp, voltmeter and fuel level gauges in, as well as the matching 5" speedo.

Geno

fesler
05-19-2008, 12:46 PM
We use Auto Meter all the time and they are by far the best gauges on the market, top notch products and look sweet in any installation.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/FeslerBuilt/Img1397.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/FeslerBuilt/Img1404.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/FeslerBuilt/Img1408.jpg