PDA

View Full Version : How to build a paint booth in your garage without pissing off your wife!

markd
03-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Well, I lied about pissing off your wife. My wife is still upset that she “did not get her garage back” when I sent my car to a local body shop. Now, when she complains about me spending time in the garage, I remind her that the sooner I get done the sooner she can get the garage back!

I spent about $75 dollars in materials and it took about 4 hours to build. I am sandblasting and painting all the small parts instead of paying someone else to do it.

I have used the paint booth several times over the past two months and it works great! It keeps the fumes from getting into the house and I don’t have to worry about dust, bugs, dirt getting and the kids touching the wet paint.

Materials:

• 4 x Roll of clear plastic 8x10'
• 2 x cans of aerosol spray adhesive
• 8 x 8' x 1" PVC Pipe
• 4 x 10' x 1" PVC Pipe
• 8 x elbows 1"
• 8 x T connectors 1"
• 1 x can pipe dope

Below are some pictures:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh82/camaro69vn10/MAD%2069%20Camaro/P1030477.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh82/camaro69vn10/MAD%2069%20Camaro/P1030478.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh82/camaro69vn10/MAD%2069%20Camaro/P1030501.jpg

ItDoRun
03-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Good idea! I'm in the process of building a 13'x30' lean-to off the side of my shop and will definitely be using this idea to help fill up my new work area.

What's the aerosol adhesive for? I'm assuming that you used it to hold the pvc and platic wrap together. What mil plastic did you use?

markd
03-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Good idea! I'm in the process of building a 13'x30' lean-to off the side of my shop and will definitely be using this idea to help fill up my new work area.

What's the aerosol adhesive for? I'm assuming that you used it to hold the pvc and platic wrap together. What mil plastic did you use?

Yeah, your right…I used the aerosol adhesive to glue the plastic to the PVC pipe. My original plan was to use a bunch of tape, but my father suggested that I use the spray adhesive. It worked well and sealed everything tight.

I believe I used 6 mil plastic. Its pretty thin, but effective. I would probably use something thicker if it was going to be outside

Good luck!

Rhino
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing now, other than I built mine 16 foot long to encompass my entire car and pinned a few of the joints to allow me to tear it down as needed. Mine is for sandblasting so I'm not nearly as concerned with air tightness as I was simply recovering the media.

How sturdy is your structure? Mine seems to sag much more than yours does, even though our horizontal spans are similar.

markd
06-10-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing now, other than I built mine 16 foot long to encompass my entire car and pinned a few of the joints to allow me to tear it down as needed. Mine is for sandblasting so I'm not nearly as concerned with air tightness as I was simply recovering the media.

How sturdy is your structure? Mine seems to sag much more than yours does, even though our horizontal spans are similar.

Mine structure is sturdy, but it’s only 8’ long. I like your idea of pinning the joints…I was not thinking that far ahead!

GBodyGMachine
06-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Interesting idea. Good thinking!:bow:

The Pearl Cyclone
06-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Has anyone purchased this sub frame? I need to know what size wheels and backspacing you used as Heidts doesnt what to say.

GM Muscle
06-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Interesting idea. Good thinking!:bow:

i did the same thing about 4 or 5 years ago but i just used 2x4 studs. i mounted the squirrel cage type fans in the front top corners of the the booth and a small one in the back bottom.. you want the pressure to be slightly positive so you dont suck dirt in! i used regular home a/c filters to filter the incoming air:thumbsup: i was 20 and it worked like a charm.. i got nicer jobs out of that booth that i do with our 50k booth at work... haha

fastback
06-24-2008, 06:02 PM
I was about to call BS on the "without pissing off your wife" part, but your first sentence cleared it up for me.

Nice job. I recently bought three cars (a car and two trucks actually), so my brother and I can teach ourselves to do body and paint. I'll soon need to build something similar, but larger.

Do you have any type of ventillation in that thing? Is there a floor panel also, or are you painting on the bare garage floor.

I'm wondering if I could do something like you've done, or if the fans we'll need will suck the plastic sheeting in too much.

GM Muscle
06-25-2008, 08:05 AM
I was about to call BS on the "without pissing off your wife" part, but your first sentence cleared it up for me.

Nice job. I recently bought three cars (a car and two trucks actually), so my brother and I can teach ourselves to do body and paint. I'll soon need to build something similar, but larger.

Do you have any type of ventillation in that thing? Is there a floor panel also, or are you painting on the bare garage floor.

I'm wondering if I could do something like you've done, or if the fans we'll need will suck the plastic sheeting in too much.

read my post above.. and its importants to use a fan that doesnt have the motor exposed.. if you use a regular box fan or something you risk the paint fumes being ingnited by the fan motor.. :willy:

hectore3
07-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Very nice. Will have to try that myself. :D

Ummgawa
08-01-2008, 06:29 PM
That works, m an. I am really impressed! Now about the pissed off wife thing...

If you crack that code, you'll make millions in seminar fees.:D

chopshop
08-23-2008, 08:30 AM
I have used the paint booth several times over the past two months and it works great! It keeps the fumes from getting into the house and I don’t have to worry about dust, bugs, dirt getting and the kids touching the wet paint.

Materials:

• 4 x Roll of clear plastic 8x10'
• 2 x cans of aerosol spray adhesive
• 8 x 8' x 1" PVC Pipe
• 4 x 10' x 1" PVC Pipe
• 8 x elbows 1"
• 8 x T connectors 1"
• 1 x can pipe dope

although I really dont recommend doing this now (as I have a REAL booth and shop now) I painted my own car in a quansit hut tent in winter...way back...in 2001
https://home.comcast.net/~d56chevy/allwheels2.jpg

this is right after I finished it...
https://home.comcast.net/~d56chevy/snow.jpg

patriotformula
08-24-2008, 11:33 PM
very cool man... vented or not, it keeps all those stray paint particles from landing on another project, car, or otherwise. Even for small stuff this is almost a must have! :cheers: