PDA

View Full Version : Porting Burr Source

BBShark
03-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I am porting an aluminum manifold (first time). I see lots of individual burrs and porting sets. Anything I should look for? Can anyone recommend a source?

Nate_ERC
03-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Get a job grinding castings :unibrow: I worked at a large titanium foundry out of highschool, and I pilfered literally thousands of resharpened carbides. We used to just toss them because only the new ones will cut Ti.

Sorry I know that doesn't help, but I also would like to know if anyone has a preferred source for stones, flappers, burrs, etc...

-Edit-
Oh by the way, make sure you use some cutting lubricant when using aggressive burrs on Aluminum or it will clog the flutes and make them worthless in no time.

BBShark
03-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Get a job grinding castings :unibrow: I worked at a large titanium foundry out of highschool, and I pilfered literally thousands of resharpened carbides. We used to just toss them because only the new ones will cut Ti.

Sorry I know that doesn't help, but I also would like to know if anyone has a preferred source for stones, flappers, burrs, etc...

-Edit-
Oh by the way, make sure you use some cutting lubricant when using aggressive burrs on Aluminum or it will clog the flutes and make them worthless in no time.

That brings back memories, I used to have a job deburring SS, Monel and Inconel industrial valves for a while. It sucked. I was constantly pulling metal slivers out of my arm and hands.

I also have some carbide burrs but they load up (as you described) with soft material. I guess that's my real question. I see they are available for ferrous and non ferrous materials but can't find the difference.

DB Z28
03-18-2008, 09:30 AM
I get mine from C.C Speciality Tool in Lawrenceburg ,Tennessee. Or Mondello out of Paso Robles ,Ca

Nate_ERC
03-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Fortunately Ti is like aluminum, and doesn't sliver like steel. I swear I'd quit using steel for anything if it wasn't so damn easy to weld.

Seriously though I don't know what the difference in the burrs you described would be; but if you use some kerosene to lubricate your burrs when cutting aluminum it really helps keep them clean.