PDA

View Full Version : Flames? Any tips?

Slncapri
03-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I am trying to render flames on my latest drawing. I am having a difficult time and need some advice. I am using Prismacolor markers primarily in the rendering along with Pastels and Colored Pencils all of the same brand. The car is '50's style sled, black in color. I can get the flames down all right, but I don't know how to go about fading them with the colors Yellow, Orange, and Red. Also, any advice doing the reflections in the Gloss Black part of the car?

Slncapri
03-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Racerods, this does help, thank you.
I just dove-in and started putting marker color down the way you described you put paint down. Looks like it will turn out better than I thought it would (doing the color right now since 1:30pm). I glad you explained it the way you did,,,I was going to put the colors down backwards (dark to light).:thumbsup:

ZVT
03-15-2008, 08:24 PM
I can t help much cus I dont use pastells or markers but maybe AL can help you he does some awesome flames

http://autoartshop.net/car-art.html

I'm sure he'll chime in if he see's this.if not PM him screen name is ASAENZ

asaenz
03-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Slncapri,

If your flames are to have an outline, outline them w/ the color pencil.
Lay down your base color w/ the marker. Apply your frisket film, be sure it isn't too tacky (test on paper) it could rip the fibers depending on the brand.
Take some make-up latex wedge applicators and rub it on the pastel color of choice and start laying down your fades.
http://www.spongeproducers.com/products/images/Latex%20Wedges.jpg
You can get the wedges at Wal-Mart. Fold them up to make then firm. You can also scrape the pastels w/ a knife onto a paper plate mix in a little baby powder and dab the wedge then apply color, just play around on blank paper first, experimenting.

For your black, let the solid black marker be your horizon reflections, use the pastels for your sky and ground fades on the body. Thom Taylor teaches to lay down your light blue rub that in, then lay down your black pastel and rub that in. If you can get your hands on the Hot Wheels book and Thom's book
How to Draw Cars Like a Pro. Check half.com

Take care,

Thanks Zee

Al

Slncapri
03-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks Al, I do appreciate your help. I have both of those books, a great resource. I am going to try the baby powder thing, last time I used pastels it looked too "grainy".
Checked your site out...:thumbsup: ...very nice.

mlomaka
03-17-2008, 06:25 AM
You have received some great advice so far. I would just like to add one small thing. I am not sure what type of paper you are using, but it is very important. I like using a velum as opposed to bond since markers dont soak into the paper. This allows you to push, blend & even lift the ink around. It also allows you to "paint" with your color pencils. The solvent in the markers disolves the "lead" from the pencil, and you can make it look like water color. There are a lot of ways to use the tools you have. Just don't overlook the paper.

asaenz
03-17-2008, 07:08 AM
oops one more tip:

Be sure to experiment a lot on some test paper to figure out what works best for you. I have also laid down my chalk from the stick, rub in w/ fingers and then dab my finger in the powder and only apply it to the faded areas to make things look smooth.

Just experiment w/ it.

Thanks

Al