PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Hand Rendering

Slncapri
03-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Open to all comments good or bad.

DVierstra
03-02-2008, 02:06 AM
Open to all comments good or bad.

Not Bad! I would have to say it is good work. How long have you been doing this? Only thing I will add, is use different line weights to create more of an impact and a bit more contrast by adding more colors. Paper, markers and other tools can make a huge difference in the outcome of your work.

Have you used straight edges, Elipses and or circle templates, French curve before? Your lines are fairly decent for not using such tools. A couple of books can really give you pointers...Drawing the HotWheels way or Thom Taylors book.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Slncapri
03-02-2008, 11:31 AM
This is actually the Fifth rendering of this magnitude, all my other drawings have been small and only pencil. Since the TV show Overhaulin', Chip Foose and his renderings have inspired me to get back into what I loved to do so much as a child.
I have no formal training other than the books you mentioned, I have them both, along with some DVDs from Harold Belker.
I did a charity auction at the AutoRama here in Grand Rapids, where I drew a "rat-rod" rendering of a car that was in the show. The owner of the car was the highest bidder and went home with it. After the Autorama, the car showed up in a feature article in Rod&Custom 4/08.
I've had a couple businesses ask me to do some work for them, which is why I have posted so many questions for professionals like yourself. I would like to make business out of this.
I am not sure what you mean by line weights though, if you could PM me, I am eager to learn. I do have ellipse templates but not big enough for this large of a rendering, they only go up to 2.5", so I did not use any templates on this one. Rendering size is on 19x24 Bristol paper.
Thanks DVierstra.

mlomaka
03-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Not bad, especially for only yopur 5th one! The best advice I can give you is to keep at it. I am amazed at how much better each drawing I do gets. Not bragging on myself, just trying to say practice really works. You have a great start. I had art all 4 years of high school and have a BA from Columbus College of Art & Design. Keep it up.

asaenz
03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Listen Main you're good. Stay with it.
I'm just starting out myself. The people here will help you.
I'm learning that experience is the best teacher. And I can only get experience by just plugging away at it.

I would suggest some curves and ellipses.
I use Timely Ellipses. Now for curves get some french curves from a local store and you may need to order "ship" curves from an online store.
http://www.artstuff.net/ships_curves.htm
http://www.timelytemplates.com/f_ellipse/Tellipse.htm

I didn't notice a domain in your sig. Think of something cool you might like.
If your name is simple try to incorporate that into your domain name. My last name is very difficult so I opted to leave my name out.

al