PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find threaded tube inserts with...

Musclerodz
07-15-2005, 10:11 PM
rolled threads? I would prefer them over cut threads for saftey. Thanks

Mike

race-rodz
07-16-2005, 01:30 AM
speedway motors, chassis works, art morrison...... not sure if threads are cut or rolled. what kinda part needs the threads stronger than cut threads... i believe most 4 link bars have cut threads.... seen broken rod ends... but never stripped threads.

Musclerodz
07-16-2005, 11:58 AM
speedway motors, chassis works, art morrison...... not sure if threads are cut or rolled. what kinda part needs the threads stronger than cut threads... i believe most 4 link bars have cut threads.... seen broken rod ends... but never stripped threads.
Rolled threads are far superior to cut anyday. All your quality hardware manufactured today has rolled threads. It is just something I prefer for piece of mind. The inserts are being used in my 3 link control arms and I want all the strength I can get. Broken rod ends is probably more than likely from too small of a size.

Mike

race-rodz
07-16-2005, 01:40 PM
imo, a welded insert is not the way to go if your looking for max strength.

Musclerodz
07-16-2005, 03:37 PM
any suggestions? The lower arms are fixed so all I am dealing with is the upper.

Miike

race-rodz
07-16-2005, 10:48 PM
ballpark length? what size thread?

Musclerodz
07-17-2005, 03:02 PM
18"-24", 7/8" or 1" thread

Mike

race-rodz
07-17-2005, 03:20 PM
holy crap.... that should be beyond bombproof...our last long travel desert truck used 1" rod ends on the t.a.'s. that should be waaaaaaaay over kill for a street/track car.

race-rodz
07-17-2005, 07:29 PM
im still looking for pre made links, the 1" thread is a killer, most are 3/4.... i will post a link as soon as i find somethin for ya.

Musclerodz
07-17-2005, 09:34 PM
The lowers are 3/4 and there is two of those. So I figure with one up top, I better beef it up a little. :D

Mike

race-rodz
07-17-2005, 10:21 PM
yes... but there isnt near as much force on the top link... the lowers located the housing fore and aft... the top is just there to keep pinion from rotating. i will call my place tomarrow, but im pretty sure they are only gonna have 3/4... i will let ya know.

Larry
08-10-2005, 01:19 AM
Regarding broken rod ends, my thought on beefing up my 3 link was this idea: Since the offset 3 link intrudes into the passenger seat area on the Trans Am tube frame I recently got, and there is only one upper link to absorb launch shock, I am considering reversing the upper link so it goes in a rearward direction. I guesss this might be what is called a Z link. My justification for this is all rod ends would be in compression instead of tension during a launch. This is with 3/4" rod ends with reducer bushings to work with 1/2" bracket bolts.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.