PDA

View Full Version : 70 Challenger- drawing this time

city_ofthe_south
02-26-2008, 11:01 AM
This is a portion of another project I was working on. Many of you probably saw the model I did of this car. I needed something quick for the project and I'd been wanting to draw a Challenger. Anyway, the finished product can be seen here:
http://cityofthesouth.deviantart.com/art/Pepper-Kills-78484114

American Racing wheels, like 192s or something like that.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/challenger_black.jpg

mlomaka
02-26-2008, 02:44 PM
That looks great! I remember the model. I still like the non chrome bumpers. So how long does it take you to draw something like this?

city_ofthe_south
02-26-2008, 02:55 PM
That looks great! I remember the model. I still like the non chrome bumpers. So how long does it take you to draw something like this?

eh, this car was fast, partly because it's black, partly the method i used, and partly because there is a massive lack of time eating details - like lights, trim etc. I really, really like to stay under 10 hours on average though (not that it ever happens). This one took maybe 5. For this one I drew directly from my own photograph, so there was no pencil sketch to do either. I drew the whole car black and then laid shapes on top, allowing black to show through .... which is a much quicker way to do vector art. Normally, there is a lot of "hiding" shapes behind shapes which takes quite a bit of planning. But not everyone likes the "toon" look and a lot of other artists do it so I normally don't.

asaenz
02-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Dude that is freaking sick, awesome job.

Was that done in PS? That's just fantastic huge fan of your style :thumbsup:

city_ofthe_south
02-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Thanks man. Almost everything I do is Adobe Illustrator. It could be duplicated with PS but it's clunky by comparison (the pen tool and gradient tool that is. PS isn't clunky by any definition of the word). The splatter BG and the text was done in PS for this one. The girl, if you follow the link, is all PS air brush with a pencil drawing on top.

city_ofthe_south
02-27-2008, 08:28 AM
ah hell, that's a huge compliment coming from you. I never put the art with the screen name apparently. I'm sure you're familiar with the pen tool in PS. I guess I say clunky because in AI all I have to touch is the mouse to draw shapes. I don't deal in layers, no rasterizing or stroking paths or any of that. I might just like it because that is what I'm the most used to, but it feels more straight forward and speedy. On the other hand, I don't use any unique gradients, something PS is far better for. I could draw most of a car quickly in AI then bring it into PS to give it more realism but it's sort of become the "look" of my stuff so ...
Anyway, I really appreciate it.

ZVT
02-27-2008, 04:56 PM

AGREED I am a COLTER fan too!!:D :hail: :hail:

city_ofthe_south
02-28-2008, 09:00 AM
damn if you keep that up it's gonna go to my head. Coming from you folks it should. Nothing helps more than to have other great artists around for inspiration. I only hope the "Pepper Project" people like it too. *crossed fingers*