PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Bath & E-Coat Video

tndude
07-13-2005, 09:00 AM
I found this and thought it was cool. Check it out.

DSL
http://gallery.musclecarrestorations.com/video/ecoat.wmv

Dial-up
http://gallery.musclecarrestorations.com/video/ecoat_small.wmv

Web site is at http://www.musclecarrestorations.com/

XcYZ
07-13-2005, 09:05 AM
The Cuda project that's featured on the Lateral-g homepage is being built by Muscle Car Restorations. I've talked to those guys many times, and John Balow, the owner, is an extremely nice guy.

Camaro4Life
07-13-2005, 09:25 PM
That is cool. Good information to know. :thumbsup:

T Bell
07-14-2005, 11:45 AM
yeah that is pretty slick. I heard them say at the end that you do you bodywork after this E-coat. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose if you have to grind to bare metal for bumping? Or are the talking about just body fillers and such?

trapin
07-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Cool Video. I had always wished I could have been there to witness my car in the immersion tanks and to see the e-coating process when I had mine done. Now I got a general idea of how it went. Thanks alot. :thumbsup:

tndude
07-15-2005, 08:21 AM
T Bell - you got me....I suppose you don't sand the ecoat off but light skim coat of filler/primer, then sand and prep. I think the ecoat acts like a seal to protect the metal from rusting again.

Trapin, where did you get your done? I'd do it in a heartbeat but man they charge $6K to strip the car then ANOTHER $3K to e-coat. :eek:

Can't say I'll be doing that. I'd pay $2-3K but even that would be tough to digest. :willy:

tndude
07-15-2005, 08:28 AM
I'm thinking the way to go now is to have the entire car shell media blasted inside and out. Then have the underside, sub frame, and inside of the car powder coated. Like they did with the Cuda - Sick Fish. I think that would be even cheaper with similar results. A local co. told me over the phone to blast is about $800 and then to powder coat would be about $750.

T Bell
07-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Midsouth Soda blasting number is 794-2502 cel 240-8987. This is a company locally that is a mobile outfit. Quoted my buddy a price of $300 for his 55 pickup frame. I'm seriously thinking of having them do my frame & possibly the underside of my car. Then POR15 then frame and Herculine the underside. There is also a place in Jackson, MS that dips and ecoats but, I don't have their number.

rockdogz
07-15-2005, 03:06 PM
I would definitely do e-coating if I had it to do over again. It seems to have a lot of benefits over media-blasting.

One thing I was wondering as I was watching the video - wouldn't it make sense to remove the front subframe and dip those parts separately? I was thinking of the body mount bushings and what happens to those areas?

Hmm, should that guy really be touching the body with his bare hands before the e-coating is fully cured?

tndude
07-15-2005, 04:02 PM
One thing I was wondering as I was watching the video - wouldn't it make sense to remove the front subframe and dip those parts separately? I was thinking of the body mount bushings and what happens to those areas?

Hmm, should that guy really be touching the body with his bare hands before the e-coating is fully cured?

Yea, I thought the same thing. :willy:

There is also a place in Jackson, MS that dips and ecoats but, I don't have their number.

Good call! I forgot about them!!! I just found it online. they are called Metal Finishing Services and the number is 601-355-3317. They said $900 for the body and $65 for each extra piece, door, hood, etc. I'd probably do the doors, hood and sub-frame. I'm buying new fenders so wouldn't do those.

They sub out the ecoat and it was an additional $1500. I think total would run about $2,600 or so. This might work......

trapin
07-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Trapin, where did you get your done? I'd do it in a heartbeat but man they charge $6K to strip the car then ANOTHER $3K to e-coat.

I had mine done at a company called Carponents in Belleville Michigan. Same place Stielow had The Mule done. They were good people but unfortunately are no longer in business. However, there is another company here in Michigan that is doing it now.

International Paint Stripping
15300 Oakwood Drive
Romulus, MI 48174
734-942-0500

They can strip and e-coat body shells within the measurements of 13.6 feet in length and 48 inches in height. Cost: $2500 That's for stripping the car AND e-coating it.

The price has really gone up. When I had mine done it was $1800. That was about 3 years ago. It does have it's draw backs though...they are a little rough with your parts when they handle them. They creased my decklid in 4 places and parts of my drip rails were bent and had to be repaired. Stielow told me that they dented the quarter panel on The Mule real bad and wouldn't take responsibilty for it (this was Carponents). Haven't heard anything bad about IPS though.

Hope it helps. :)

tndude
07-18-2005, 09:06 AM
That does help. Thanks Trapin! :thumbsup: