PDA

View Full Version : Pypes exhaust

69camaro638
07-08-2005, 08:11 PM
After searching in the exhaust section I had a question about the Pypes mandrel bent (or any other similar mandrel bent) exhaust system. I want to install the system myself at home on my new 68 Camaro RS (small block). I have a lift but no welder (or welding skills). Can this (or any other similar system) be installed properly without welding? There is no problem if I have to cut off some sections of pipe to adjust for a proper fit, but will it seal/fit properly just using whatever type of clamps (band or other) and hangers that come with the kit? I was thinking of the 2.5" Pypes system w/Borla mufflers.

Any help in this area would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marty

race-rodz
07-08-2005, 09:18 PM
i would think welded is the way to go, no leaks, no worries.... you could always buy the kit...install it, and take to the exhaust shop to have it buzzed up.

T Bell
07-08-2005, 09:40 PM
I don't think it would be too much of a problem but I'd rather have it welded. Try it out and see. If you don't like it after awhile, get it welded.

rockdogz
07-09-2005, 11:49 AM
My situation doesn't exactly apply to you, because I did not have a lift and have not installed an exhaust before. Also, I bought the 3" Pypes kit for my '68 Camaro which was mini-tubbed and runs the DSE 3" drop leafs. So, the amount of space I have is tight. When I tried to install the kit, I couldn't get it to line up correctly - seemed that the SpinTech mufflers were long and I didn't buy the center exit model, which seemed like it would have worked better. I ended up putting in turndowns before the axle until I can get it to a shop that can install it for me without scratching everything to hell. The only thing I had to weld was the turndown tips to the muffler exit - the rest is just clamped in for now. I am curious though how it works when you get the system ceramic coated - do they install and weld the whole thing, then remove it, then you have to wait a week or whatever until the coating is applied?