PDA

View Full Version : Long or short water pump?

RBR
01-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Does it matter if I run a long waterpump if I want to run electric fans? Or do I need to run a short waterpump, its going in a 69 firebird with a SBC. Thanks In advance for any replies.

HRBS
01-30-2008, 02:48 PM
There are alot of variables to think about.
The difference between a short and long water pump is about 1-1/4".
You'll have to look at different electric fans to see what their dimensions are.
You may have a particular one you like or want or need that will require you to go with a short pump due to fan clearances etc.
FYI, short and long pumps mount alternators and accessories is different spots also.
Hopefully someone here has a similar set-up that you are looking for that works fine and will chime in.

MarkM66
01-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Do you know what brackets you want to run?

RBR
01-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Not sure on the alt. bracket, been looking at those billet ones with the heim joint on both ends. I have a AGR ps pump with a black billet bracket, had to make a spacer for it to match up with a long water pump.

RBR
01-31-2008, 12:10 AM
This is the pulley set I've been looking at, it's made by southwest speed. This is the long pump version. Not a lot of bling, but has more of a racing look.

MarkM66
01-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Short or long will work, so just go with whatever works with the brackets you want.

You'll probably want to run a dual e-fan set up so the motors straddle your water pump pulley.

RBR
01-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Cool thanks for the reply I'll start looking into the dual fans.:thumbsup:

woody80z28
01-31-2008, 01:30 PM
An electric water pump is also a nice option.

MarkM66
02-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Cool thanks for the reply I'll start looking into the dual fans.:thumbsup:

I've had good luck with the dual SPAL unit.

RBR
02-01-2008, 01:51 PM
I'll check that out thanks. The pulley set up I'm looking at has two groves on the water pump and crank pulley? I think one my be for air cond. I'm not sure, mine only has one groove on my mock up water pump pulley?

Scotch
02-09-2008, 09:16 AM
If you run twin electric fans (like one of Flex-A-Lite's setups) there's enough room between the fans to clear a long water pump.

I plan on going to twin electrics in the future, but for now I still run a mechanical fan.

If you're looking at accessory drives, I'd highly recommend looking at Jones Racing Products. I am glad I did...I was able to work with them to get exactly the setup I was after, and it works great.