PDA

View Full Version : Artwork question

Slncapri
01-21-2008, 06:55 PM
I have a company that has seen my artwork firsthand and is interested in having me do a drawing of thier project car for them to post up in their shop. They would likely be displaying this drawing with the finished car. My question is how should I go about pricing the drawing and presenting the company the drawing as professional as possible. I would like to get return busines from them and other area shops.
My artwork is all hand rendered with pencil then marker and pastels with a little airbrushing. I plan on framing and matting the drawing when finished in a 24 x 36 frame. I have some of my artwork posted on the thread titled "NEWBIE" if any one needs to see my work. I will be putting alot more effort into this job than any of my other drawings to hopefully aquire more jobs from area shops. I just enjoy the heck out of drawing and seeing the faces of people when I show my work. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Hdesign
01-21-2008, 08:30 PM
What we typically do for presentations at work is spray mount your artwork with 3M Super 77 onto a clean piece of black Bristol board. You may want to get a really huge piece, mount the artwork, measure 2" out on each side and cut the black board. To mount artwork perfectly on an already cut board is a major PITA. It's very difficult to sit it straight and flat on your first try. (you pretty much have one shot)

Make sure you spray the edges or they'll curl. Be sure to start at the top when setting it down, then roll the paper down evenly as you get towards the bottom. Use the back of your hand to flatten it starting from the center and working your way out. (If you use your palm or fingers, there is a greater chance at the oils in your skin smudging it. And don't overload it with glue!!!! It'll leach through the front of the paper and stain. Give it a couple seconds to dry before mounting it to the board.

I'd let them choose a frame, some people are really particular about that. What you could do is grab a cheap, silver frame at Walmart just so it's framed. If they like it, great. If they don't, it's just a cheap frame.

As for pricing, tough call.....I did a TON of freebies when I started out in exchange for some references and experience. However, if you choose to charge, I would tentatively say you want to be relatively conservative. Don't give the client sticker shock by asking $500 right out of the box, but don't sell yourself short by asking $100. You'll probably be safe in the $200-$250 range.

Hope this helps, good luck and get ready for sleep deprivation! LOL

JayR
01-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Great advice Ben but if that sounded too risky, just take it to a frame shop and ask them to dry mount it. They'll look at you funny and want to mount it, then mat it, then frame it but simply explain you need them to dry mount it right onto the mat board with a 2" border and deliver it to you like that because like Ben said, spray mounting it yourself is tricky and can ruin a hand rendered piece in a big hurry.

Good luck and congrat's on the new client.

ZVT
01-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Best advice I can give is make sure you dont under quote for a job.As far as what to quote take the amount of time you spend on a rendering plus materials and give them a price from there.

I agree with Ben bout the 200-250 range is good thats where I am.It also depends on how much work goes into it...

Think of it as a business not just a hobby anymore cus once you start getting paid thats what it is...

woody80z28
01-25-2008, 08:20 PM
All very interesting replies. I also like to hear from the pros, because in a perfect world I'd be in the same business as you!

DVierstra
02-03-2008, 10:07 AM
ZVT Best advice I can give is make sure you dont under quote for a job.As far as what to quote take the amount of time you spend on a rendering plus materials and give them a price from there.

I agree with Ben bout the 200-250 range is good thats where I am.It also depends on how much work goes into it...

Think of it as a business not just a hobby anymore cus once you start getting paid thats what it is...

I like Zee's reply!

The lowest I have heard in a professional sense is $50 per hour. That is really cheap. "Illustrators" can make from $50 to $200 an hour, minimum.
Now if you break that down...from an eight hour project you are making: $31.25
per hour for eight hours of work for $250.00. If you consider yourself less than professional, then it is okay. Please do not take any of this as an insult but artists tend to not put a "valued" price on their work. I have done many "freebies" myself.

My wife owns her own daycare. She has to see it as a business and nothing else. People try to take advantage of her a lot. She has learned to stand firm.

Hdesign
02-05-2008, 11:20 PM
A similar discussion was started in another thread regarding rates. I honestly didn't realize that to discuss this could be in violation of anti-trust laws. I would say use your best judgement.