PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Hydaulic Shop Press

USDM Rice
01-16-2008, 10:03 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32879

Anybody have any reviews on this HF 20ton shop press? Looking to press in new bushings on a couple of my project cars. I want reviews from people who actually have used them. Anti-HF guys keep quiet. I just spent the past hour sifting through hf bashing posts, lol. Only review I've seen so far is some guy saying that gunsmiths swear by these presses. Thanks

almcbri
01-16-2008, 10:15 PM
their hydraulics work great. I have one of their engine hoist and a few cheap jacks. I think harbor freight does have a lot of junk, but they have some good stuff as well.

rwhite692
01-16-2008, 11:26 PM
If you are just looking for a press to press in the occasional bearing, it will serve you just fine.

If you were running a production shop and using it every day, day in and day out, you might want to move upmarket from the harbor freight which will typically get you a beefier structure, etc.

Rick Dorion
01-17-2008, 06:34 AM
I have one and feel they're fine for the home hobbyist. I've pressed in leaf spring and control arm bushings so far.

USDM Rice
01-17-2008, 08:32 PM
thanks for the replies! another forum mentioned that Pepboys is having a clearance on their 12 and 20 ton shop presses. I just picked up a 20 ton one for $80!! (after a $50 rebate). It's a Torin which I think is basically the same as HF.