PDA

View Full Version : 91 GMC Syclone LSX/LQX Swap Qs?

philofab
12-23-2007, 08:23 PM
I've got a 1991 Syclone thats been in storage for 7 years. I put it in storage since I love the truck but have always had reliability problems with it (I once went a whole 2 weeks without something breaking on it). I've been thinking about doing a LS or LQ series motor connected to a newer 4L60e or 4L80e. Anyone have a link to some info the plus/minus of all these motors/trans? I just want the truck to be reliable... I'd be happy in the 400 hp range. The truck was pushing about 400 horse before so I'm not really loosing anything. The original engine is completely disassembled since a blown headgasket o-ring hitting a piston sounds like a light knock. I'm thinking a 4L80e/LQ9 swap. Would I be better with an LS1/2? I don't really know much about these motors except they seem to love to make reliable horsepower. Anyone know anything specific to swaping one into a syclone? I figure the oilpan would be the biggest issue.

radrambler
12-23-2007, 08:37 PM
philofab

what happened to the rambler ? havent seen you post in a while

radrambler

philofab
12-23-2007, 08:46 PM
I've had some personal things come up and I wasn't able to work on it for a while. I started working on it again earlier this month. The engine/trans is in the car and the rear end is also mounted. I switched to 17x9 wheels for the rear since they fit without any cutting. I'll do the 17x10.5s later... stupid decklit hinges are in the way and I miss driving it. Should be on the road in a few months. I'll post a update here in a few days. The Syclone project is a year or so away... I'm just starting to gather info for it.

radrambler
12-23-2007, 08:57 PM
pm sent

65 347
12-23-2007, 11:28 PM
philofab
check with syborg tt, he has a little experience with these trucks.

syborg tt
12-24-2007, 12:28 AM
philofab
check with syborg tt, he has a little experience with these trucks.

Okay choices choices choice

4l80e - only choice and yes there is a conversion kit available

Engine
-Small Block / EFI - dirt cheap reliable swap everything is available including headers

- LSX LQ Swap - Stuff is available but expensive

shoot me an e-mail ( [email protected] )

ps - there are some syty guy's on this BB

pss - go to syty.net lot's of answers there.

philofab
12-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Anyone got a link to thread/webpage with a direct comparison between the LS1/LS2/LS7/LQ4/LQ9/L91 engines/heads? I've been searching but haven't really found anything good. I need to learn about these motors. I am thinking maybe a set of new L92 heads on a LQ4 with a decent cam that ought to make 400+ horse easy.