PDA

View Full Version : stock front frame or aftermarket????

x-tream
06-20-2005, 10:45 PM
On my 68 camaro that i want to be a pro touring car, what is the best combonation of suspention components to put on a stock front frame???

Or would i be better off to go and buy a new frame with susupention on it allready?? ex: marts, or warren due.......

907rs
06-21-2005, 10:48 AM
That's a question that'll probably get many different answers, as no one has ever published any hard performance data running a modified factory suframe and the aftermarket versions back to back. Until that happens, all you can do is talk with the manufacturers and individuals that are running them.

I'm personally going to push my stock subframe to the limit by using DSE upper and lower control arms with delrin bushings, their true coil-over conversion, the 600 steering box, 1-1/8" sway bar and fully welding all of the seams on the subframe.

Good luck :thumbsup:

XcYZ
06-21-2005, 11:17 AM
As Bill pointed out, there are A LOT of factors involved. For me, packaging is huge and having front steer is a big part of my project.

For starters, you need to decide if you want the stock track width or go wider and use higher positive offset wheels.

The best thing I can say is that you need to know what your goals are before starting, then see where it falls within your budget.

ryans67deuce
06-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Or would i be better off to go and buy a new frame with susupention on it allready?? ex: marts, or warren due.......

Deffinately give Warren a call.... Great guy to work with....

Oh yeah, Wayne ain't bad either.... :_paranoid ;)

Jay Hilliard
06-22-2005, 10:15 AM
I have Kyle's coilover conversion, Upper a-arms, subframe connectors, 1 1/8 sway bar, larger centerlink, DSE tie-rod sleeves, AGR 12:1 box with 220 valving, DSE solid mount bushings, Hothkis rear leafs with Koni shocks on all four corners.

Though I only have about 250 miles with this setup, I can say it HANDLES! I dont have any true data, but there are a few curves near my house that all I could do was 65mph with stock subframe, Hotchkis front springs and 1 1/8 sway bar. With Kyle's coilover conversion, subframe connectors and a-arms, I recently went 75 mph with no problem. I think 80 would not be a problem. Car sticks with no roll or understeer. It felt just like a circle track car to me. You could feel the car actually rotate/pivot in the center of the corner, as if the car was picked up, rotated and sat back down. :hail:

For the money, compared to aftermarket subframes, It was a no-brainer to me. I would do it again. If you the fab skills to DIY, then thats more money saved for other goodies.

I've been to 3 or 4 car shows/cruise-in's and had many questions/comments on how the subframe looked, etc. Alot of people like the orginality of the stock subframe, but find it very cool to see its modified to handle with some of today's technology.

With all this, Is it the best handling frame compared to others? Cant say, need real data back to back against other frames, but I can say I'm very pleased with the result and I intend to try it out at Virginia Motorsports Park (road course) when I get the few kinks worked out.