PDA

View Full Version : Shop lighting options

Birdman
11-30-2007, 03:01 PM
The light in my shop is attrocious. It seems like I am always finding spots in the garage that are dark, and always where I need light!

I have three 2-bulb flourescent shop lights hanging in the front part. They give ok light in the front, but the back of the garage is about as dark as it can get, especially with the garage door open.

I am going to add another flourescent under the shelf over the workbench to light up that area a little better, but I really need to get more light into the back of the garage.

Anyone have any suggestions? I had planned on adding another 3 2-bulb shop lights, but when the door is open it'll still be dark.

It is very frustrating, I pretty much have to have a drop light everywhere I am in the garage.

68protouring454
11-30-2007, 03:15 PM
8 ft 4 bulb fluorescents

bulldog19
11-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Go with 8' 2-tube High Output strips. Each Tube is 110w, ballast is rated for cold temps so when you turn on during the winter and the garage is not heated they are still nice and bright. Expect to pay around $85 for the fixtures with the tubes. Plus also now they have an electronic ballast so the "hum" of the ballast is almost non existent.

bigtyme1
11-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Go with 8' 2-tube High Output strips. Each Tube is 110w, ballast is rated for cold temps so when you turn on during the winter and the garage is not heated they are still nice and bright. Expect to pay around $85 for the fixtures with the tubes. Plus also now they have an electronic ballast so the "hum" of the ballast is almost non existent.

I've got 14 of these lights in a 36x34 area, my garage is sectioned off. plenty of light and have not changed a bulb in 6 years.

mark smith
12-01-2007, 07:41 AM
does the shop have a ceiling in it? mine did not have the dry walled ceiling in it for awhile due to running a/c lines and for storage purposes.after installing ceiling and painting it with a bright white paint the lights seemed to work alot better.my shop is 30 by 30 with 10 ft ceilings and i have 8 4 ft fast start flourecsents.still have a one area that could use a little more light but for now im pretty happy.

mazspeed
12-01-2007, 09:39 AM

These are the ones to go with. Not the most efficient, but good for cold weather garage lighting.

Birdman
12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check into that. My shop is smaller, about 24x22, so a few of those should work great.

Silver69Camaro
12-04-2007, 02:20 PM
My 32x22 uses 14 4' double bulb T8 lamps. Lots of light. Almost like a surgical facility.

But the T8 bulbs are the way to go, hands down. No more T12 for me.

Birdman
12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
The main problem I have is the garage door blocking out most of my light. It takes up like half the garage ceiling when it is opened, and any lights above it are blocked out. I might run a couple of lights on the wall to the sides of it.

29od1
12-06-2007, 03:41 PM
I have a 40'x60' shop with 12-8' T8 light strips. Each 8' strip has 4-4' T8 bulbs. Lighting is great and very efficient. The old T12 bulbs suck way too much power for what they output.

The strips will cost you about $40 from Lowes and 4-bulbs is about $9-$10. They're already set up for cold weather start.