PDA

View Full Version : Y-TRY's latest collaboration.....Corbeau CR1 Deluxe's

Y-TRY
06-17-2005, 05:51 AM
They met in a crowded upholstry shop. A vintage set of '68 Camaro Deluxe buckets and a perfectly good, brand new, set of Corbeau CR1's......

http://members.aol.com/ytry68/CamaroPics/seatsbefore.jpg

Noone said it would last because of the age difference. He was a classic, she was a young pup. But they got together and created the best of both worlds......

http://members.aol.com/ytry68/CamaroPics/seatsafter1.jpg

If you look close, you can see the amount of detail carried over. Some seams had to be changed for structural reasons, but we used the same grain of vinyl and welting throughout, as well as OEM emblems.

As a matter of fact, they had twins....

http://members.aol.com/ytry68/CamaroPics/seatsafter2.jpg

And they lived happliy ever after...

http://members.aol.com/ytry68/CamaroPics/seatsin1.jpg

As you can see, my idea was to apply as much of the original design of the '68 Deluxe seats onto a modern seat. What was an idea became a vision. The vision became a series of sketches. The sketches became a plan. The plan- a challenge. The challenge, a collaboration. I had to take my sketches and plan to several shops before I had the right match.

I am very happy with how well my vision was realized. To see the seats IN the car is to understand the vision. The seats look as though they were meant to be there, as they match the rear seat perfectly. I think it was successful. How about you? :yes:

boostedbbc
06-17-2005, 05:55 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~adam205348/seatsin2.jpg

hell yeah, they look great Nathan. I can't wait to see them in the car. Congrats on finally getting them in. :thumbsup:

Y-TRY
06-17-2005, 06:06 AM
Don't worry, Adam, you'll have a chance to be pressed into them soon enough. No peeing, though. :unibrow:

BC69
06-17-2005, 06:22 AM
That is really cool. I like the blending of the new style seat with old style upholstry. Thanks for the pics.

Tim

Steve Chryssos
06-17-2005, 07:14 AM
That is totally awesome. I'll bet you could sell those by the dozen.

XcYZ
06-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Wow, that's great! I agree with Steve, you could sell a lot of those. :thumbsup:

68protouring454
06-17-2005, 08:18 AM
look awesome, nice work, i bet they are comfy, how much does a set of seats like that cost to recover??
jake

907rs
06-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Nice! They almost look like they came from the factory. :cool:

Y-TRY
06-17-2005, 10:48 AM
They are pretty comfy. And I like how much higher you sit than with the stock seats.

These were kinda one-off efforts but I think the guy kept the patterns. I shopped the plan around to a few good places and qoutes were anything from about $400-$600/seat. These actually took about 4 months to complete. There was a good amount of procrastination on their part since normal work was flowing through all the time. I'm sure he wish he'd bid higher after all the work that was done. But the shop came well recommended.

It was also important to me that the upholsterer and I were on the same page. I had to make sure he was "feelin' me" as I described what I wanted. I needed to make sure we connected on the idea. We drew all over the red cloth deciding where the seams would be and everything. It's cool when you farm something out if they are excited about it too.

I got a good deal on the Corbeaus, otherwise I would have considered knock-offs. These weigh a bit more now because the padding in the Corbeaus was actually pretty chincy underneath. Just strips glued here and there. Now they are actually molded foam around the skeleton. As you can see, the vinyl is hard to get to lay just like the cloth, but it's minimal.

I'm pretty stoked that they came out so well. Now I need to finish some other repairs on the car. But I do like sitting in the new seats and making engine noises. :D

jonny51
06-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Those turned out great.$400-$600 per custom upholsterd seat is a good deal IMO.I deal with alot of home furnishings that need to be recoverd and it is very expensive.The other part is finding a person who does nice work,it looks like you have that problem solved.

Ummgawa
06-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Would your guy do a set of 69 seats deluxe the same way? I had been thinkin about something cool, but you have hit a grand slam! You are the man!! :thumbsup:

TwinTurboTexan
06-22-2005, 01:06 PM
looks good Nathan, when will your car be up and running again?

Y-TRY
06-22-2005, 05:22 PM
I'll be piloting it again by this weekend.

69rs
06-23-2005, 06:33 AM
Looks great. Nice blend of classic looks with new technology! :thumbsup:

trapin
06-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Damn....you beat me to it. I have a set of 2001 Camaro seats that I'm recovering to match my '68 deluxe interior. I already have a guy lined up in the trim shop here at GM to do them for me. Yours are inspiring though, galvanizes my thinking that this is going to look good. :thumbsup:

D Rock
06-25-2005, 01:06 PM
That is amazing, the seats look awesome. :yes:

93Polo
06-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Looks great :cool: Did you mount them on factory or Corbeau sliders?

Y-TRY
06-29-2005, 02:20 PM
They are on the sliders and brackets that Corbeau makes specifically for 1st gens. They are kinda pain to get the rear bolts in, and my stock seatbelts won't work (darn, looks like I'll have to get harnesses too!)

TwinTurboTexan
06-30-2005, 11:02 AM
car looked and sounded real good last night man. Any idea what that was under your car draggin?

TwinTurboTexan
06-30-2005, 03:53 PM
nathan, remembered the site, here is the shop that builds the TT setups i want.....

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/index3.html

TWIN TURBO SERIES BBC
DART SLAYED CAP BLOCK
CALLIES 4340 CRANKSHAFT
OLIVER 4340 CONNECTING RODS
JE PISTONS
HELL FIRE RINGS
CUSTOM NRE ROLLER CAMSHAFT
ROLLER LIFTERS
CLOYES TIMING CHAIN
ALUMINUM PRO-ACTION HEADS
2.08/1.60 INCONEL VALVES
.080 WALL PUSHRODS
CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS
ARP HARDWARE
ALUMINUM TIMING COVER
SFI HARMONIC DAMPER
HOLLEY STEALTH RAM WITH 1000CFM THROTTLE BODY
SHEETMETAL INTAKE MANIFOLD 1300 CFM
POLISHED ALUMINUM NRE CNC VALVE COVERS
BAFFLED HI QUART OIL PAN WITH -10 DRAIN BACKS
STAINLESS STEEL EX HEDDERS ½ FLANGES
2 72MM INNOVATIVE TURBO CHARGERS
2 PRO WASTEGATES
AIR TO AIR INTERCOOLER
ELECTROMOTIVE TEC3 ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYTEM
ELECTROMOTIVE CRANK TRIGGER IGNTION SYSTEM
MSD BILLET OIL PUMP DRIVE

1000 HP 350ci Small block for $20,000 :D

jonathan's car looks good, gonna email him and see if i can come look at it.....

Y-TRY
06-30-2005, 04:09 PM
I know about the NRE turbo set ups. Very cool.

After careful examination I concluded that the CalTracs were the cause of the sparks. Adam was in the back and when I get on it it really digs and I only have a couple inches of clearance with them. Maybe I'll build skid plates?!

I like our truck, too, crazy fool. You totally smoke-screened me at the light, a'la Spy Hunter. I was blinded by the smoke and by the time it cleared you were out of sight. :thumbsup:

93Polo
07-02-2005, 01:21 PM
They are on the sliders and brackets that Corbeau makes specifically for 1st gens. They are kinda pain to get the rear bolts in, and my stock seatbelts won't work (darn, looks like I'll have to get harnesses too!)
I hear you. C5s have the smae problem with keeping the stock belts

TwinTurboTexan
07-03-2005, 12:35 AM
I know about the NRE turbo set ups. Very cool.

After careful examination I concluded that the CalTracs were the cause of the sparks. Adam was in the back and when I get on it it really digs and I only have a couple inches of clearance with them. Maybe I'll build skid plates?!

I like our truck, too, crazy fool. You totally smoke-screened me at the light, a'la Spy Hunter. I was blinded by the smoke and by the time it cleared you were out of sight. :thumbsup:

aye, i bet thats what it was. Sorry bout the mosquito sprayin, I wanted to get on it for ya so you could hear the TURBO scream since its a full 5" straight pipe right off the turbo but as soon as i did it was like, "oh ****, black smoke is gonna go everywhere!" :eek: