PDA

View Full Version : Welder Question

slyck68
11-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I want to get a little more involved in the fabrication of my Firebird project and was considering getting a welder. I've done a little research and it sounds like a mig welder would be all I need. I don't plan on tackling anything too daunting and would probably spend the next few months practicing on scrap metal before touching my own car. That being said, can anyone offer any advice as to what I should purchase? I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just something that will handle a few small mods I have in mind for my sheetmetal. Thanks for any input, I just don't want to get hosed by some salesman at Sears!

Garage Dog 65
11-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Might start with the Miller 140 with Auto-set. It was speciffically designed for the new guy doing home fab/hot rod level stuff - and the auto-set would really help. Might be too pricey for a new guy - but it's good stuff.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_140_autoset/

Jim

rubadub
11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Like Jim says, the miller will make your life easier, some of this thin sheet metal is just plain nasty to weld, get a miller.

Rob

907rs
11-12-2007, 04:18 PM
The 140 looks to be a good one. Just be sure that you get the biggest machine that you can afford. Once you you get the hang of things, you won't want to be held back by a smaller machine.

I've got the Millermatic 251, and have absolutely no complaints. It's rated from 22 gauge all the way to half an inch.

slyck68
11-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the input guys, that Millermatic 140 w/Auto Set seems to be my best bet. They aren't cheap, but it looks like it's worth the extra cost.

rich-allen
11-13-2007, 08:26 AM
I just got another member a Miller 212 for $1500 including a 50lb roll of wire and a large bottle of 75%/25%
Thats about 35% off retail.
Those small welders always have trouble with the liners in the gun. My recommendation is save a little more money and buy a stand up unit. We have three or so of those small units that we call disposable welders. They last about a year and we throw them away.
Let me know if you need some help.

Rich

slyck68
11-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I just got another member a Miller 212 for $1500 including a 50lb roll of wire and a large bottle of 75%/25%
Thats about 35% off retail.
Those small welders always have trouble with the liners in the gun. My recommendation is save a little more money and buy a stand up unit. We have three or so of those small units that we call disposable welders. They last about a year and we throw them away.
Let me know if you need some help.

Rich

Thank you Rich, unfortunately "Tis the Season to Go Broke" and the smaller one is just within my price range. If I find that I use it more than I anticipate I will definitely keep you in mind for a future purchase!

Garage Dog 65
11-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Catch a car show where Miller has a booth setup. They normally have a pre-setup deal with their local area seller to offer a 'show special'. I've seen them for $450 - $475 through the 1 day special.

Garage Dog 65
11-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Don't forget to look for coupons ! There is a $50 off coupon in this months Street Rodder mag for the 140 with Autoset. I've seen $100 off versions too - so it's worth looking for them.

Good luck !

Jim

Gordz32
11-21-2007, 08:37 PM
I have a miller 135, I love it! Buy Miller and and you'll swear by them. I paid @$600-700 for it and it will weld any sheetmetal you could think of. I personally think your better off getting a welder that you'll have top adjust or dial in than one that will do it for you. You'll learn more about what affect what and how to fix things. Plus it'll cost you less money. I've welded 1/8 plate steel without problem and once you get it dialed in it works great. either way go with a miller and you'll be happy!

Chris
Best of Show Coachworks