PDA

View Full Version : Tach not working.

BC69
12-08-2004, 01:21 PM
My car has an aftermarket covans dash insert, and autometer gauges. Lately the tach hasnt been working. All the other gauges are working just fine but the tach isnt budging. I think at one point when I turned the car on it would move over to the 0, but for the most part it remained 90 degrees down and nothing. I thought it might be a fuse, but all the other gauges are working. A little work had just been done recently on the transmission and starter, could anything have been knocked loose? Any ideas...another one of those simple problems that I havnt yet found the simple solution to.

Thanks Again

Tim

MaxHarvard
12-08-2004, 01:31 PM
check the wire to the distributor. it should be green :)

61Bubbletop
12-08-2004, 03:21 PM
What ignition are your running? Stock, or an MSD?...MSD has it's own tach output, possibly loose, or perhaps someone forgot to replace the wire to the coil if you are running a stock type?

BC69
12-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Its stock, There might be a lose wire there, that be an idea.

thanks guys.

Tim

BC69
03-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Hey I am just bringing this back up cause I havn't solved this problem. I traced the wire to the distributor and tightened it, nothing...moved it around a few different times, and got nothing.
I have replaced some of the fuses, only one was really burnt out, but just tried anyway. Everything works fine except the tach and the gauge lights that come around each one...I dont get it. Is there a fuse connection in one of the wires?

Again, these are autometer gauges in the covans dash.

Thanks
Tim

zbugger
03-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Can you describe how you have it wired in? It may be as simple as a bad connection to the red wire, or a bad ground. How do the connectors look? How does the rest of the stock harness look? Is the connection at the back of the tach good? How about at the connector for the stock to Covan's harness? It could be a lot of things, including a dead tach.

Keith
03-15-2005, 08:15 PM
I say bad ground...

BC69
03-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Everything is brand new. I checked the connections to the back of the tach...it is good. The tach worked the first day I had that car, but then one of the times I started it, it was out!! (Only driven the car...5 times maybe) When you turn the key and all the gauges click into position, the tach will kinda click over, then come back to 90, so it seems to be getting something.

All the wires are new, I dont know the specifics of the setup, the orange wire goes right out the firewall to the distributor..the other just heads to the harness. I am sorry I dont have much more, but the guages are new, the wires are new...everything.

Thanks, hope it helps
Tim

BC69
04-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Okay this has been compounded more and I am lost. I followed the ground wires and dont see a problem there...no obvious sign of problem. But here is the deal, I dont have the tach, the gauge lights..parking lights, or tail lights. I have break lights, rear turn signals, and headlights. I have a feeling all these problems are connected, does anyone have a wiring diagram that would show this? It isnt a fuse, I have changed a couple recently and I know there are no blown fuses right now. I am just lost, and more concerned about the front parking/turn signals, and rear tail lights for some night driving than I am the tach...I just am really lost now.

So, TTT with this topic....thanks again in advance.