PDA

View Full Version : Door handles

kadettcqp
11-07-2007, 03:36 AM
I have some issues concerning my door handles. I cannot definately decide what i want to go with. The car is an 67 Nova sedan and i think i have about 3 different themes going on in my head.

The thing is that at the moment the doors are "shaved" as they where when i bought the car. But it is not legal in denmark not to have an mechanical opening mechanism for the doors. This means that electronic openings aren't legal. Therfore i need to change the "shaved" doorhandles into something else.

My 1. thought is to change them back to the original door handles which currently is the one i like the most. But the original door handles mount into some recess in the door and since they have been shaved these recesses are not present anymore obviously. Is it possible to buy a peice og sheetmetal that i can weld in instead that contains the recesses?

My second thought is this one:

http://www.bilgalleri.dk/uploads_large_wm/492051.jpg

And the third one is some handles that i have seen on an episode of rides where foose is designing an 32-40 ford? That is going to be ready for riddler but he is not finished with it and waits another year. This car has these cool handles where they are almost completely flat and when you press an button a little "handle" pops out and they you pull this to open the door. I do not know if anyone is able to understand which handles i mean from the description. But i have never seen these since and i would like to know where to buy them if anyone knows?

70 chevelle
11-07-2007, 10:10 PM
I think the handles you are talking about are mid 80's Jaguar handles I believe they are off of an xj6. I'm sure an image search on Yahoo will give you some pictures of the handles I'm speaking of. Hope this helps.

deuce_454
11-09-2007, 04:16 AM
of course there is always the audi a6 rear door handles.. you can buy a complete kit including a piece for sheetmetal that accepts the handle.. and welds to the door, it is a quite popular modification in the VW scene, and it really looks neat in my view...
http://howdiaudi.dk/product/default.asp?mode=showproduct&id=204383

other option os to buy door-skins and reinstall stock handles... have you ground the paint and filler away from where the handle used to be.. many times people just cover with bondo (plasticpadding) and a piece of tack welded sheetmetal..

Mrfixit
11-13-2007, 04:30 PM

And the third one is some handles that i have seen on an episode of rides where foose is designing an 32-40 ford? That is going to be ready for riddler but he is not finished with it and waits another year. This car has these cool handles where they are almost completely flat and when you press an button a little "handle" pops out and they you pull this to open the door. I do not know if anyone is able to understand which handles i mean from the description. But i have never seen these since and i would like to know where to buy them if anyone knows?

I think I saw something similar at the new car show this past weekend. I think it may have been on a Benz but don't remember for sure. The handle was about 3/4" wide and 6" long. It was inset flush with the door skin. When you pressed the "Push" with your thumb, the back of the handle pivoted out and allow you to grab on and open the door. Pretty cool stuff.

kadettcqp
11-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I have been a week to Gambia and therefore i have not been able to answer before now.

Race-rodz:

I will have a look at the PT Cruiser for door handles and see if they fit my taste.

70 chevelle:

I have been searching a bit for those handles and they look interesting but it was not exactly those i was looking for. But i might look a bit into jaguar door handles.

Deuce:

As far as A6 door handles i think they look to "new" and are to round shaped to match the lines of my Nova. But thanks for the advice.

The holes are fuly welded shut unfortunately so i think it will be an impossible task to remove the sheetmetal that has been welded to shut them unfortunately.

MrFixit:

It sounds like that was the ones i was looking for. You should not by any chance have pictures of them?

Mrfixit
11-22-2007, 08:58 AM
MrFixit:

It sounds like that was the ones i was looking for. You should not by any chance have pictures of them?

No. I didn't take my digital camera. I'm not sure a picture would have done you much good anyway other than conformation that what I saw is what you're looking for. Sorry.

Mr.VENGEANCE
11-22-2007, 10:53 AM
sounds like you want Barchetta handles..

http://www.bayerne36.com/Exterior%20Pictures/Door%20handles/DSC03911.jpg

http://www.bayerne36.com/Exterior%20Pictures/Door%20handles/DSC03915.jpg

http://www.bayerne36.com/Exterior%20Pictures/Door%20handles/DSC03916.jpg

i had them before...

Mrfixit
11-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Very similar to the ones I saw in Tampa. Except, on the other one, only the handle showed as if it were secured on the back side of the door skin instead of sandwiching the skin as in the pictures above.

kadettcqp
12-06-2007, 01:28 AM
sounds like you want Barchetta handles..

i had them before...

Ohh.... You just saved my day! That are exactly the ones i was looking for!

Thank you so much. The i just need to find a place where i can buy them. Kan you buy them with the sheetmetal around them to mount in?

Mr.VENGEANCE
12-06-2007, 02:11 PM
yea they were semi popular in the VW world.. "in which i came from"

you have to find the doors.. take the link from the pictures i posted and ask him where he got them.. when i was in it.. they made a kit.. now i KNOW they dont anymore..

glad i could help ya out..:cheers: