PDA

View Full Version : paint over vin tag

ArisESQ
10-25-2007, 11:07 AM
I had my paint and body work done a while ago, and have always been pretty satisfied with the results, with one exception... they painted over my vin tag in the door jam.

is there any way to fix that, or am I just kinda forced to respray the door jam completely if I want it to look right? I really dont want to make it look bad. the paint work is all really good quality... except for that. suggestions?

class67
10-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Maybe tape it off and try using goof off! might work.

DHARROD
10-25-2007, 03:03 PM
My suggestion: Tape off the area (I mean the area - plastic too) - use 3M tape but don't get a long range grade - one that is meant to be taken off in 2-3 days so it has plenty of stick but still not enough to affect the paint. Get a high grade paint thinner (I use Nason 481-16 Select thinner [not for painting]) The thinner I mentioned will take the paint off - it'll work through POR-15 and even start to work at an epoxy garage floor .. but it'll take the paint off in a manageable fashion. Use a rag, coat the rag, but sparingly - just so its damp .. you don't want it to be full of thinner. You'll have to keep adding a little thinner to the rag. I'd use a cloth hand towel that's not like bed-sheet so you can get to the tough spots at the edges of the raised numbers/letters. Use just your finger to polish the paint off.. don't ball up the rag and start scrubbing.
If the plate is aluminum/stainless .. while things are taped off work through a polishing sequence (3M/MGuire creams) like you would just after wet-sanding. You'll end up with a shinny/mirror tag. I've done this on two Chevelles .. tag is on the cowl area though.