PDA

View Full Version : 1994-98 Mustang Colter-ized

city_ofthe_south
10-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Sorry for the stupid title. I dunno, some people probably wouldn't bother looking if it just said 1994 Mustang "custom"? Maybe not. Anyway here it is firstly and then I've got a small book to go with it. Most of you guys can just tell by looking what has changed but I wanna get it all out so I can stop thinking about it.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/94mustangconcept_final.jpg

This is a copy/paste from deviant art: OK from the beginning - I've had the idea for years to modify the 94-98 body Mustang. There really was only one reason, maybe two, for doing this. Most importantly, the dimensions of the car are good imo. Unlike many newer cars (not Mustangs necessarily), the 94 bodies didn't look over weight and there was at least a little car sticking out ahead of the front tire and behind the rear tire. The fact that early on they were still available with the 5.0 helps and the aftermarket is huge etc. So the idea was, mod the body slightly to give it old school lines and it would be a much better looking car. Then the 05 came out and my ideas started coming together. I wanted to base it on the 65/66 body and I wanted to do a Shelby-ish looking edition. The idea being that this could be a one-off done in the garage. I started sketching not wanting to create a body kit but not wanting to change the entire car. Turns out I didn't like the first drawing at all. The head lights and grille provide very little basis for something killer. Anyway, I seriously could write on and on about this car and I might on my website when I post it but yeah, I changed every single body panel on the car except maybe the square that makes the roof. It would take significant funds most likely and mad skills but I do think this could become a one-off car. To create the 65/66 body lines I would just make additions to the existing fenders, a new hood, and trunk lid would be fabricated and that's the easy stuff. The front and rear valances would be scratch made also, though the lower front could be done if you were good with fiberglass, just not the grille area. That weird crease running down the side of the car would have to go. 94-98s already looked like fast backs but they needed the little side window to get the 65/66 look - pretty doable I think. I reworked and reworked the rear end until finally choosing to scratch the whole thing and make it nearly all old school in looks. It would even get a bumper in body color or chrome. New headlights that they offer in after market for 05 bodies, Raceline GT wheels (if I was Ford producing this car these would be GT 350 only) that look kinda Shelby Cobra but still modern. I would make new Mach 1 wheels available also. Old school mirrors ... and the list goes on and on - maybe a NA but stroked 5.0.

Anyway, this started to turn toward, "what would happen if retro design was happening in 1994?" more than a one-off situation. What if Ford built this car? That gave me some freedom to get crazy and here we are. I even have a marketing plan kinda but like I said, I could go on and on. The problem is the handful of 07 goodies I'd want on the car that you see here. Sorry about the water mark but I think this needs it.

The part that isn't copy/paste: I'm torn with this car because I have all these ideas if I were producing them (maybe privately ... hadn't thought of that) but they conflict with the time period. I have 2007 parts on a car being built over 10 years ago? That doesn't work and why would Ford go BACK to that chasis? I dunno. It's a big fat dream that I needed to get out and here is the result. The bottom line, if I were some how making these, is that they would be loaded to the gills with appearance and performance options and very few creature comfort options. The GT 350 would be totally sectioned off from the GTs or even 6 bangers if it were Ford produced - but not JUST because of the price tag. I'd want it light, with a small block, all suspension and braking, very unique looking in a "GT 350 only" way but with options and lightening quick. I'd want what Shelby would have done, was doing and might do now if he was under total control of the deal. If there was a GT 500 option, it would be getting the big block.

DVierstra
10-22-2007, 09:52 AM
I like it. Has an original unique streamlined look. Definitely has that Cobra like feel to the front fascia. I like the fact that you included more of an old school look to it without having that nose heavy front end it currently has. Keep it up Colter! Creativity rules!

city_ofthe_south
10-22-2007, 11:08 AM
I like it. Has an original unique streamlined look. Definitely has that Cobra like feel to the front fascia. I like the fact that you included more of an old school look to it without having that nose heavy front end it currently has. Keep it up Colter! Creativity rules!

Yeah, I like the Cobra and wanted to keep that look but if you look at the Shelby or just the 65/66 Mustang they had lights (turn sigs) in a similar location and so I saw a bit of a connection there. I agree about the front end. When I was talking about having some car in front of the front tires that is part of it. Cars seem to be getting these big blunt noses tacked onto the front and it just doesn't appeal to me. This, like anything else I guess, will probably end up a love/hate thing but I'm glad I got it done.

Hdesign
10-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Nice job Colter! Great rendering!

I really like the side, roofline and tail. I never really caught on to the fox body thing, I don't know why, but this would change my mind if there was a way to do it.

The only constructive criticism I can offer is the height of the center of the nose and the "angry" shape of the headlight buckets. I think you should try making it taller. I know it would look virtually identical to an 05-up but it might be worth a look.

Always great to see your work!:thumbsup:

ZVT
10-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Great job colter,

I've always been a fan of the SN95 mustangs since i first got my 4eye mustang.

I agree with BH the lights look a bit small a bit bigger and it's perfect...:thumbsup:

Zee

city_ofthe_south
10-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Thank you both, some CONSTRUCTIVE crits for once. Other places I've posted, all I get is, "the front is weird" or something totally useless like that. I personally don't care much for the base car, but there was always something in the back of my mind wanting to get sorted out years ago but I could never put my finger on it - i think I'm getting close. Anyway, I'm going to make some changes for you guys. I think that the other people who had no idea how to say what they were saying .... were saying the same thing. I struggled with it too because the 94 has a little tiny grille too and it almost killed the whole idea. It doesn't matter if the original car has small head lights, they stretch clear across the frickin car to make up for it! But to have single round head lights was much more difficult. However, I think there is room to drop the lights a couple inches to fit bigger ones, increase the grille size and improve the looks up there. We shall see.

DVierstra
10-26-2007, 09:42 AM
All are great comments. I was apprehensive about giving any "constructive" criticism because of a previous post on another forum. I said what I liked about the artwork and said what it was lacking and what would improve it. All I received was angry comments. :mad:

The only comment was basically what Hermance and Zee explained. The rest of it I liked. The key word is "constructive." Gives the artist something to work with, not "I don't like it" or "it's just kinda weird." More intelligent, positive, honest feedback is helpful. :yes:

city_ofthe_south
10-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Your comments have been great and I'm all for crits all the time. I won't be responding with anger because I know you guys are fantastic artists and you have the eye. Any artist knows that while he or she might be great, you're still just one person and you miss things that other people with a fresh set of eyes pick up on right away. Everyone can use that imo and I just get pissed when people are like, this looks odd and you know that most likely they have no idea what they're talking about in the first place and aren't specific about what they see. It's like, "yeah I know it's supposed to be a Mustang but it would look awesome with a HEMI stripe and if it just looked more like a Camaro! I know it's supposed to be a stree car but where is the blower?" Still, I try not to give it much thought because even those comments are helpful in a certain way ... they tend to represent the larger population and how they might react. The trick is sorting out what the hell it is they don't like and why. I can almost hear the sound of sheep in the distance.

ZVT
10-26-2007, 11:53 AM
I used to hate that whenever i posted a rendering you would get these asshat comments.Instead of contructive criticism.

here's a guy that tried do a eleanor type styling on his modular mustang(99-03)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390930/1

DVierstra
10-26-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree! After a while they all sound like sheep or Charlie Brown's teacher....waa, waa, waaa, wa,wa,....:lol:

ZVT - that Mustang is a light attempt with those add ons but does not change it significant enough for my taste. The front bumper needs more work to get that "Eleanor" look. :D

city_ofthe_south
10-26-2007, 01:43 PM
I used to hate that whenever i posted a rendering you would get these asshat comments.Instead of contructive criticism.

here's a guy that tried do a eleanor type styling on his modular mustang(99-03)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390930/1

That's something I wanted to avoid. I didn't want to create a bolt-on car, a body kit more or less. I wanted parts of the car to be fabricated but I didn't mean for it to get to this point either. My thought process changed so many times to accomodate what I really wanted to do which turned out to be ... change the whole car I guess.

ZVT
10-26-2007, 06:16 PM
My thought process changed so many times to accomodate what I really wanted to do which turned out to be ... change the whole car I guess.

Imagine having access to the 5axis engineering facility to build whatever you wanted.Saw a couple episodes of RIDES on tlc where they used the 5axis machine to build the new mustang I think and few scion's.

I guess thats generally how projects start of with a set plan and half way through you have to sell your soul and tear up the bugdet to get it done.LOL