PDA

View Full Version : pinion angle question

PSV
06-10-2005, 10:50 PM
I need to set the pinion angle on my currie 9 inch in my 69 camaro. From what I have read and been told I am looking at 2 degrees negative angle as ideal. My question is my car is just the rolling chassis right now. It has no glass, interior, motor or trans. I have the adjustable perches from dse and and am using 3 inch drop leafs. The car is mini tubbed and will have a BB and tko 600 and full interior. How will the weight affect the final pinion angle. Do I have to wait until the car is complete to set the angle? I want to set it now so the I can have the perches welded and the housing powder coated prior to final assembly. Any suggestions? Thank, Paul

sinned
06-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Maybe, a great deal, and yes.

There is no "ideal" pinion angle, it is totally dependent on the the tail shaft angle and prop shaft angle. The more weight that is added the lower the chassis will sit and change the prop shaft angle and the pinion angle. You need to wait until you have a complete driver to accurately set the pinion angle. Ultimately you want the pinion to be roughly equal but opposite the tail shaft and have driveling working angles between 1/2 and 1*.

rockdogz
06-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Can't you just approximate the perches and then use shims if needed? That's what I had planned to do... I'm close to being able to measure it now, but the car is too low to get under there!

race-rodz
06-12-2005, 05:20 PM
doing a static setting on the pinion is a bad idea. too many variables to take into consideration

PSV
06-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the info. It wasn't the answer I wanted, but I want to make sure I do it correctly.

Y-TRY
06-13-2005, 08:10 PM
I was in the same situation and used the DSE bolt-on perches during assembly. Once I was able to set the car at ride height I got under and set the angle, bolting down the perches. Then I removed the rear and welded the bottom half of the perches on. You don't really have to do that 2nd part, especially if you hope to tune the suspension with the pinion.

I forgot the number, now, but I went pretty negative to reduce the shock the Z-rated tires would see. Sounds good in theory, right? :thumbsup: