PDA

View Full Version : Guys running DSE 600 steering box -- happy?

Blown353
06-05-2005, 01:25 AM
Well, I've noticed over the last few thousand miles my fast ratio GM 800 box has been getting a bit "loose" on-center. I re-lashed it a while back, and while that helped it's still loose-- there's a bit of a "dead zone" until the steering wheel input becomes actual tire movement. The steering box has also been weeping a tiny bit of fluid lately from the pitman shaft; not enough to spot the ground but enough to leave the pitman arm oily and let dirt/dust stick to it. Suspecting that as a sign of a bigger problem, I had someone work the wheel tonight while I laid under the car and I can see the pitman shaft wiggling where it exits the steering box, so the output bushing/bearing has developed some slop (explains the leak, too.)

Rather than rebuild the 800 box yet again, I was thinking of upgrading to a new 600 series box from DSE. If you're running one, are you happy with it?

I wouldn't mind going to R&P but the Chevelle chassis/crossmember and steering shaft location makes a retrofit quite difficult due to crossmember and header interference with the steering shaft. The DSE box seems like a logical choice, just thought I'd ask for some real world experience before shelling out the $500. (and I was hoping to buy new seats in a few weeks!)

Troy

Rick Dorion
06-05-2005, 10:09 AM
The performance and feel are great. I personally am having problems getting the high pressure hose to seal at the box although others (and Kyle) have seen no problems. I bought one of the initial ones DSE made available. I've tried 3 different adapters, various composition o-rings and get results ranging from blowing the fluid out after 10-15 miles of driving to seepage. Kyle is sending me some adapters machined to the tolerances I measured on my box which hopefully will resolve my issues. Soe others have reported some sealing issues on pro-touring.com and solved it with different appoaches. I'll report back on both sites when this is behind me.

wickedmotorhead
06-07-2005, 01:23 AM
I have one in my 'velle right now, but I made my own hoses and ordered -6 adapters from aeroquip. I had leaking problems before. I really like the feel a lot. Good response and feel like a new car has, but I would prefer a bit tighter feel for a car that see's some track time. I'm also running a late model Type II pump from DSE with the integral resevoir which is also very nice. If you can't find someone to build you a box to your prefered specs this one works well and bolts right in.