PDA

View Full Version : Where to begin?

ssfirefighter
09-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Sort of a long story here, but I am looking for some options and direction to get started.

To begin, I am in Afghanistan trying to start on my project. I have a '68 Camaro that I am ready to begin on. It needs some body work and I have already made the decision that I am not going to be the one to do it. I am in Afghanistan right now, but hope to be home for Thanksgiving to get started. I was planning on taking it and dropping it off somewhere to get the body worked on so it would be ready when I get home for good (whenever that may be). I am looking for some shops local to the Dallas / Fort Worth area to do that. I guess my first question is should I have the decision on frame / subframe made so the car can be done on that, or just get the body work done on the current subframe? The car will need a roof skin, rear quarters, and the cover from the firewall to dash.

I was thinking about maybe Air Ride's front and rear, Art Morrison's, or possible a full frame. I don't really plan on much track time, just a street cruiser that I can have some real fun with. Just looking for any opinions or suggestions for direction. And where to start.

TravisB
09-12-2007, 10:14 AM
I would definatly have a decision made on the rear as it would be much easier to do before the quarters and stuff. The front would not be as important as the core support may have to be shimmed anyway. For just a street cruiser I would do a airbar, g bar, lat dyn 3 link, or DSE rear. And front clip of your choice. Full frame is a major undertaking in a camaro.

Diognes56
09-13-2007, 11:05 AM
I agree with Travis on the suspension.

If you haven't already, I would also decide if there are any body mods that you want or need to do (Shave the side makers? Door handles? Mini-tub? Cowl hood? etc) and what kind of color you would like the car.

David

tyoneal
09-14-2007, 04:18 AM
Hire someone to do a rendering for you so you can get a handle on what you want, THEN hire the right person for the job.

Ty

ssfirefighter
09-17-2007, 08:52 AM
I am finding alot more information than I expected. I have been spending alot of time looking at these front subframes and havent really looked at the rear. This is sort of off topic but relates. I know I want to do mini tubs. and the Air bar / G bar looks the easiest, but what are the advantages / disadvantages? It looks like there is far less cutting to do one of these. I guess the DSE would be the next. Any opinions?