PDA

View Full Version : XXXLR sets record!

Bill Howell
08-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Bob Johnson and crew set a record in their class at Bonneville this week.
Yesterday they ran a 227mph and backed it up this morning with a 218. As I understand it, that would put the record at 222+ change. I am still at the airport trying to get home, but will post some pictures here when I can resize them to the proper size.

kennyd
08-16-2007, 10:22 AM
congrats !

Rob07002
08-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Awsome feat indeed. Congrats to all.

Now I'm going to watch Worlds Fastest Indian again.

RussMS
08-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Wow! Major Congrats guys! :burnout:

Speedster
08-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Sounds great. Awesome job !! Please post some pics of the runs...

Tony@AirRideTech
08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
:ttiwop:

ron w
08-16-2007, 02:00 PM
hey bill what was the previous record how bad did he beat it ron PS how's that sun burn

Bill Howell
08-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Here are acouple shots, including the car at speed on the record pass. There is a shot of the time slip of the first full pass of the car, not bad if you ask me.
The other two are just shots I like. One of God's handywork and one of Bob's new look......hehe

I will have a couple hundred pictures up on musclerides shortly and will let everyone know. Rat Rod 32-34s seem to be the rage out there and I just love them, so plenty of those if you like looking at them.

Bill Howell
08-16-2007, 06:56 PM
hey bill what was the previous record how bad did he beat it ron PS how's that sun burn

The car is actually a new class, so no record, but they had to break 200 to set a record. The car has so much in it still, so don't think this is it, the car will be back for more.
No sunburn really, just a redneck Irish boy that was in the sun a bit too long one day...hehe

Bill Howell
08-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Here is one of George Poteet getting ready to back up a record run. It was pretty cool to be pitted next to them, watch Troy and crew work on Blowfish, etc. They were more than happy to help out when we needed to borrow a tool. George had 5 cars out there, pretty impressive.

One of the XXXLR on the salt, on the way to the line.

One of a rat on the salt

A couple rats that were at the hotel every night.

ron w
08-16-2007, 07:29 PM
hey bill what is the process are the cars transport back to the hotel every day- how far is the hotel- are you so remote that you're stuck their all day love to hear more about your trip Ron

Bill Howell
08-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Ron,
The cars actually stay on the track. The XXXLR actually sat in line overnight two different nights. The rest of the time it sat next to the trailer. It is SO LOW that it was too big of a PITA to load and unload every night. We left everything out, and no issues there. They run everyone off the track at night so no one is there to mess with anything. Even though it is wide open, there is only one way in, and they have security stationed there. It is about 6 miles across the salt from the entrance so it isn't like you could sneak in. I did not rent a car, as there is a huge clean up fee if you get into the salt with one. So, I pretty much was there all day, several of them were 14 hours long. The only thing that was boring was the long wait between runs. No way you could get more than two runs in in a day since the waiting in line was always about 4 hours. This is not counting the work-on-car-in-pit time if needed. Overall, it was a cool time and something I have always wanted to do, but unless I was going out with someone I was going to watch run, or maybe my own car, I doubt I would go. It is pretty warm out there and no where to get out of the heat.

Garage Dog 65
08-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Wow Bill ! That is the coolest thing and the XXXLR looks awesome out there on the course man !!

I've always wanted to go - and my wife actually proposed an RV trip out this year and I turned it down. How much of an idiot am I ... Maybe I will take her up on it for next year. (don't tell her about the heat - that'll kill the deal)

PS, Bob looks like a kid in a candy shop in that photo !!! It made me laugh just seeing his expression and it was obvious you 'kids' were having a blast. Congrats and live the dream !!!! :thumbsup:

Jim

Bill Howell
08-16-2007, 08:17 PM
LOL, yeah Bob is a big kid and so am I. It was a real blast. However, I would not suggest taking a Motorhome on the salt, just too messy. Even though it is really hot, you learn to adapt. Fans, pop up canopys, etc.
Here are a few more pictures of us clowning around.
One of the last ones is of George Poteet trying to calm Fat Boy down. You have to get out of the car in a timed try in case of fire. George was trying to give Bob some pointers. Bob had left his BLACK helmet in the sun for about 2 hours before putting it on, what a genious........:lol:

ron w
08-16-2007, 09:39 PM
thanks bill sounds great did bob ever make a pass what speed if so

Bill Howell
08-16-2007, 09:51 PM
No, there just was not time to get his license runs in so he could try to run a good number. It would have meant another four or five trips down the track and there just wasn't that much time. The decision was made early in the week to go for the record. Bob will probably go back soon to get some runs in. If not, Maxon is much closer anyway.

steemin
08-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Bill and Bob,
What a great experience.
It is obvious from the pics that you guys had lots of fun.
Congratulations:thumbsup:
Scott

Garage Dog 65
08-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Troy's crew posted some pics of their Salt experience.

http://www.radrides.com/home.php