PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my "Public Debut"

Y-TRY
05-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Before I took the car to Austin and broke it, I went to a small F-Body show in Ft. Worth. I was too late to register, but here's how the car looks in real- life, at the car wash, under the hood, and amongst the cars.... (I know you guys like pics, so I'm giving what you want). Although I wasn't eligible for awards but it sure garnered a lot of gasps and questions. :unibrow:

http://members.aol.com/ytry68/CamaroPics/bay.jpg

http://members.aol.com/ytry68/CamaroPics/carwash.jpg

http://members.aol.com/ytry68/CamaroPics/show.jpg

http://members.aol.com/ytry68/CamaroPics/rearshow.jpg

XcYZ
05-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Cool. :yes: How many questions did you have to answer? (besides this one of course, lol)

Y-TRY
05-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Cool. :yes: How many questions did you have to answer? (besides this one of course, lol)

The absolute MAIN 1st two questions, from EVERYONE were:

#1- Where's the intercooler?
#2- Why no EFI?

Damn, man, people are hard to impress. My usual replies were:

#1- I don't need one to beat you. (But I did design the entire front plumbing around swapping-in a cooler with little changes. You can see where there is a Y-pipe kinda behind the front plate area. All I need to do is loosen the two outside couplers, remove the center Y-section and insert a cooler in its place.)

#2- Budget. But I'll get to it. (Again, with this carb, no cooler and pump gas I put down over 700 rwhp. Why you gotta nit-pick? Jeez.)

Then everyone wanted to know who made the kit: No one, I designed everything but the headers, and my cousin built it all under my supervision.

Then normal stuff like "what turbos are those?" "what size engine?" etc.:

It's an internally-balanced MoTown 6" rod solid roller 406 stroker with ported AFR 220's and two PT-52 60mm turbos. :yes:

XcYZ
05-25-2005, 03:11 PM
In regards to the no IC and the blow through, just ask them if they understand endothermic reaction. :thumbsup:

Y-TRY
05-25-2005, 04:37 PM
I understand "endothermic reaction" (big word for the cooling effect of atomized fuel droplets in the intake stream). Maybe I should just throw that at them. They'll walk off all confused and leave me alone!! I also like "the Law of Diminishing Returns", especially in the context of intercooling!! That usually shuts 'em up, even though it's an argument in favor of cooling.

I 'm pretty sure I can dial-in the carb, but will need to do it on a dyno, with AFR and pyrometer info. Maybe even step-up to a Digital-7 ignition and 500 dyno-miles of trial-error!!

But the intercooler shouldnt be too far behind. I want to get the car running while I have other things working on the side. After the oil leaks and non-operating wastegates, I should be okay to move forward. Ron Davis will hear from me soon enough! :thumbsup:

How many turbo Camaros are running right now and how many else in the works? Just curious.

69MyWay
05-25-2005, 07:22 PM
That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RussMS
05-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Lucky for the competition you didnt get registered in time. :unibrow:

69rs
05-26-2005, 06:17 AM
Looks great! :thumbsup: What broke?

trapin
05-26-2005, 08:52 AM
What's the wheel and tire combo on that car? Looks great.

Y-TRY
05-26-2005, 11:58 AM
It's not "broken" really. I just need to re-do my oil drains. A combination of broken turbine bolts and inadequate oil drains has the turbos leaking and buring oil real bad. I also have a leak at the rear main seal. Once I hammer that down I can move on to some other issues.

The wheels are Boyds Turbo-Tech.
The front has 17x7 with 4" backspacing and 235/45's
The rear has 17x9.5's with 6.25" backspacing and 285/40's. The car has a 9" that came from another car, so it's a bit wider than stock Camaro. The rear backspacing wouldn't work on a stock-width. That's a ton of backspacing, but it makes the front/rear dishes look about equal. I like that.

TravisB
05-27-2005, 08:02 AM
Killer Car I love the turbo and carb setup :hail: !

groovyjay
06-01-2005, 03:56 PM
I love it! Great colour combo! :cool: