PDA

View Full Version : Found some old pics

Hydratech®
12-05-2004, 09:44 AM
I was digging around through some stuff the other day, and stumbled across some cool older pics. These were taken at my old shop - Unlimited Racing, in *wonderful* Detroit, almost exactly 10 years ago. The theme back then was to pretty much cram big blocks into anywhere they could be made to fit! We also did all of the usual small block 400 S-10's, even some SBC 400 powered Astro vans for a few customers (unbelieveably fast little minivans!)

In the first pic, you'll see the Greenwood, my PT / race Cadi, then behind it is a '67 Barracuda with 340, 4spd, 4.10 gears, then behind it (all the way in the back) is the '64 Rambler convertible monster (more on that in the next post).

I was always very proud of the Coupe DEVIL, as it ran the numbers to back up its looks - solid 12's, due to the 496 BBC, TH400, and '70 Chevelle 12 bolt with 4.11's. Should have NEVER sold that car! (!#$%^&) Younger and dumber I certainly was! Maybe I'll eventually see if I can track these beasts down and buy 'em back !? Just dechroming that beast took a major amount of metalwork, as they were definitely built around the chrome...

The Seville was an interesting early PT based exercise, running rings around the C4 Vettes of the era in acceleration, braking, AND handling! When I realized that it was essentially a second gen F-car under the skin, I went to town! I crammed in a hot 455 Olds in place of the original 350 rocket, stuffed a looser converter and shift kit into the THM400, swapped out the axle with a WS6 disc brake rear end with 3.23 gears, tossed in the WS6 sway bars, 16 x 10 rubber on all 4 corners on GTA T/A wheels = blew away even the ZR1's of the era - usually with the A/C on ;) PT before it was PT, no?

Pardon the mess, as it was Krajenke Buick's old monster body shop, which was quite run down by the time I bought it. The roof had troubles, and until it was fixed, we used to put some of the nicer rides in the front showroom to prevent ceiling crap from falling down onto them.

Kind of a blast from the past for me running across these pics! Thought I should share. What were you guys doing back in '94?

Hydratech®
12-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Below are some pics of the '64 Convertible Rambler we went gonzo with. Here are some vital stats:

* Pontiac 455 with 10.25 CR, the nicer big valve heads, big fat thumpy cam...
* THM400 with 2800 stall converter / shift kit from hell
* Ford 9" Lincoln Versailles disc brake axle with 3.25 gears / limited slip

This thing REALLY needed to be tubbed, atleast mini tubbed, as the widest rubber we could fit was only 9" wide = never any traction, 55 mph traction loss WAS scary in that little beast! The customer just did not want to go that extra mile - bummer, as I would have really liked to have seen what that lil monster would due with some traction.

Good memories!

hotwheels
12-06-2004, 08:56 AM
damn, that was a kewl rambler.........you are right, would have been awesome to see what it would have done with some traction.............hotwheels

jonny51
12-06-2004, 09:40 AM
The neighbors must have loved you!! :D

Steve Chryssos
12-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Looks like good times. I almost bought a Rambler convertible like that myself.