PDA

View Full Version : Making my own 13" Brakes -- Need Advice

Mrfixit
08-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Hello Guys -- I'm not new to the forum but mostly lerk. I've learned a bunch and want to thank you for you postings. Now to my situation:
I've got a 68 Camaro with a stock subframe and want to run 13" rotors for the front brakes and I want to make my own rather than buy a kit. I've almost completed the back using rotors, calipers and bracket from an '89 Pontiac GTA. All I needed to do there was to redrill the caliper brackets to bolt to my 9".

I'm pretty handy with fabrication but if I can save some time and stand on someone else's shoulders, why not. Is there anyone on the forum who's already completed the engineering for the caliper brackets? I'm pretty flexible on the which calipers although I'd rather stick to C4 or C5 factory units.

My car as it sits now:
Detroit Speed Quadra Link
Heidt's dropped Spindles
Unisteer rack and Pinion
TPI 350
700r4

Thanks in advance

Vince@Meanstreets
08-04-2007, 02:15 AM
What kind of budget are you shooting for? I've done several installs and have researched alot of resources. The best you can do is with used parts.

Mrfixit
08-05-2007, 07:14 PM
I've really not set a budget number. I just think that I can do just as well building it myself as paying $XXXX.XX buying one. I'm using rear calipers/brackets/rotors from an 89 Pontiac. So, having already mocked up the rear brakes, I'd like the fronts to function well with them. I'd prefer 4-piston calipers. I've got drum hubs for the front and want to use at least 13" rotors for the front. I'm not against using used calipers as long as they're in good shape.

I don't know if this helps but anything you can offer will be graciously accepted.

CarlC
08-06-2007, 12:24 AM
http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html

jannes_z-28
08-06-2007, 12:48 AM
You can check out Carl Casanova's site in the link above, it inspired me to do my own setup for C4 brakes. You can check my site for info as well, se link in sig.

The procedure is the same and the bracket should work for either C4 or C5 brakes in front.

There is also valuable info on David Pozzi's site http://www.pozziracing.com/

It is quite easy to do it.

Good Luck

Jan

Mrfixit
08-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks :thumbsup: guys. That's the kind of info I was looking for.