PDA

View Full Version : big brakes hit valve stem on backside of rim?

69MyWay
07-28-2007, 12:30 PM
I just put a cool 13" C5 brake kit on my 69 Vette which is sporting Intro Pentia 18" rims. I have plenty of rim room, but the valve stem mounted BEHIND the spoke is hitting the caliper.

How do the big brake guys over come this????????

Bowtieracing
07-28-2007, 12:41 PM
I just put a cool 13" C5 brake kit on my 69 Vette which is sporting Intro Pentia 18" rims. I have plenty of rim room, but the valve stem mounted BEHIND the spoke is hitting the caliper.

How do the big brake guys over come this????????

I dont know of the rest of the guys but my "billet dreams" were my first and last try. Next time I choose real racing wheels with regular placed valves and other "standard" wheel features-like equal roundness:rolleyes:

69MyWay
07-28-2007, 12:48 PM
I dont know of the rest of the guys but my "billet dreams" were my first and last try. Next time I choose real racing wheels with regular placed valves and other "standard" wheel features-like equal roundness:rolleyes:

OUCH! So outside of the valve stem hitting the caliper you had some serious quality issues?

I have been totally satifised with the fit and quality of these Intro Pentias - but I also had stock brakes on it until now and didn't even consider the valve stem. I have enjoyed the ease of polishing or washing the wheel and not having to fuss with the dirt that usually collects around those stems when on the outside and visible to the world.

SSBOWTIES
07-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Are you using flush mount valve stems? If not, pick up a set and that should solve the problem.

Jim

69MyWay
07-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Are you using flush mount valve stems? If not, pick up a set and that should solve the problem.

Jim

Thanks man! I didn't even know those existed until today!

Looks like the ticket!

Patrick
07-29-2007, 07:14 AM
They also make valve stems that lay almost flat against the rim (they have a 90 degree bend). Some of the flush mounts are very hard to get to seal. Also, they may require you to pull the wheel to air up.

TexasDvlDog
08-02-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm having the same problem with my Baer 13" brakes rubbing against my valve stem. Looks like I'll have to replace the valve stem.

69MyWay
08-06-2007, 06:16 AM
Got them installed and they work PERFECT!

Of course, I don't know for sure what I will do when I need to air them up, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

rich-allen
08-06-2007, 07:17 AM
I had the same problem with my valve stems and pentias.
I did the 90 degree stems.

DriverzInc
08-06-2007, 05:57 PM
We use the flat stems very often, OR, we place the valve stem pointing inboard on some wheels.

oorange67
08-14-2007, 01:31 PM
I have the smooth caps on mine, with the screw in air valves when I need to check or add air.