PDA

View Full Version : 1:24th GTO

city_ofthe_south
07-23-2007, 09:30 AM
alright, i've done some models before but until coming here and AF.com I was totally in the dark really. So I'm trying my hand at this all over again.

here's some initial body work. i didn't want to fill the body line infront of the front wheels but the bumper just didn't line up well so it's smooth now.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/gto_model/gto_initialbodywork.jpg

the interior. nothing to brag about. bad hand painting. my main goal was the body on this since it's my first ... i'm thinking i'm not ready and don't have the patience to do all that crazy detail that others do.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/gto_model/gto_interior.jpg

almost final body work with some primer. had to get rid of the license plate thing on the front, got rid of the turn sigs too.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/gto_model/gto_finalbodywork.jpg

city_ofthe_south
07-23-2007, 09:31 AM
i don't know if this is tricky or not but i wanted to use the stock suspension but to hide the pins i made to mount the wheels and get the stance right. seemed cool to me. there won't be an engine for the same reason the interior is lame. I corrected the tire directionality btw ... in case you noticed.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/gto_model/gto_rearsuspension.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/gto_model/gto_frontsuspension_top.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/gto_model/gto_frontsuspension_bottom.jpg

her i test fitted everything. not as much rake as i had planned but the stance is good. with this low angle you get more of an impression that the front and back are about the same height at the wheel well lip. once glued the rear should be ever so slightly higher than the front. Pegasus wheels, which i'm new to also .... they're a lot cooler than i expected but these aren't nearly as cool looking as the other set i ordered. I don't like the offset on these. the cooler ones will go on a different car when i know more what i'm doing. the GTO will be black btw.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/gto_model/gto_testfit.jpg

city_ofthe_south
07-23-2007, 09:46 AM
spell check much? i wanted to add, the hood had a hole hacked in it because this kit is a "street machine" ... yeah filling that was a kick in the face. but you can kinda see in the first pic what's going on there. i also lost my mind and opened the hood scoops. it wasn't as hard as i expected really. i also shaved the drip rails and locks.

Roger Poirier
07-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Change the interior color to red and you can make a model copy of my GTO. :unibrow:

R.P.

city_ofthe_south
07-25-2007, 10:02 AM
well i coooould or I could be lucky just to get the effin paint right. I painted it last night and was a little worried. I put the clear on slightly too heavy and aborted the job ... now i gotta wait 7 days to do a little sanding, nothing major and put on at least 2 more coats. My wheels are even similar to yours.

Roger Poirier
07-25-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm a model builder from way back. I still own about 3-4 1969 GTO Judge model cars in which I have yet to open the box.

All it takes to build a model car is patience. Its like a real pro-touring vehicle except a lot smaller.

This Artwork Section is one of my favorite threads. I may not post much, however, I'm always checking it out. :thumbsup:

R.P.

black2002ls
07-25-2007, 02:55 PM
what kind of paint did you use?

city_ofthe_south
07-25-2007, 04:20 PM
what kind of paint did you use?

i tried testors first just because i had a can of pearl black sitting around and i thought it might be cool. i'm sort of the mind set most of the time, with people as well, that if it doesn't meet my expectations the first, maaaaybe the second time, i'm done using it. the primer stayed tacky longer than i thought it should so i got rid of it. it's let me down before so i think screw that. I've used Duplicolor a lot and i at least know that what it says it will do on the can HAPPENS, every time. I see it used a lot in magazines and i saw a couple peeps using it on models. so i went and got me some primer, color and clear. the humidity is through the roof here ... like always in the summer. the clear got foggy (i've not used the clear before) ... milky like. i put on two coats, thought the humidity was killing me and quit. well the milky effect cleared up in a couple hours. but it says 7 days to cure. you think i can sand sooner?

it's got pretty heavy orange peal and i'm seeing that what i THOUGHT was a lot of body prep wasn't enough. but it's not bad for my first go and i can see that my efforts show promise. i want to finish the clear and try polishing. the clear also flattened out a LOT more than i thought it would. i still got it too heavy and it collected in the corners, but like i said ... first time.

city_ofthe_south
07-25-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm a model builder from way back. I still own about 3-4 1969 GTO Judge model cars in which I have yet to open the box.

All it takes to build a model car is patience. Its like a real pro-touring vehicle except a lot smaller.

This Artwork Section is one of my favorite threads. I may not post much, however, I'm always checking it out. :thumbsup:

R.P.

really, it was the 68/69 GTO that i consider my first "favorite" muscle car ya know? you pick THE one, i guess. cars just look plain sexy in black, but the GTO just has the body for black ... your car is sexy sexy. I dunno if it is that they are a little larger or what. anyway, not only smaller, but cheaper. i think a lot of it is my dexterity and functionality of the car too ... that define the word patience. i'm probably not going to scratch build tubular and coil over suspension because i just don't see the point (i think this is personal interest too of course) the car isn't going to do anything but sit on my shelf. and my fingers just won't DO work that small sometimes. those two things are really limiting my patience currently. by the time i get done working on a real car (or two, cause the Mustang is being ignorant right now too) ... try to keep up with my drawing and website ... and build other websites blah blah blah. building a model comes in low on the agenda. still, i'm trying. i'll post some pics of the paint pretty soon.

black2002ls
07-25-2007, 07:35 PM
are you using the lacquers or the acrylic enamels?

G-Body
07-25-2007, 09:12 PM
have to change those wheels i love big dubs as you can tell aswell but on a muscle car five spokes are still the best route they do make the torque thrust in the peagus wheels aswell here they are on my 56

G-Body
07-25-2007, 09:15 PM
You dont really have to wait that long spray the body with easy off oven cleaner and the paint will come right off or soak in wesley white for half an hour

city_ofthe_south
07-26-2007, 07:58 AM
are you using the lacquers or the acrylic enamels?

sorry, i'm posting from work so i can't look and i honestly don't know. i think they are enamels .... the little cans you can buy to "touch up" your car. and i used sealer, not just their primer too. might have better luck with that sandable primer. *shrugs*

city_ofthe_south
07-26-2007, 08:05 AM
have to change those wheels i love big dubs as you can tell aswell but on a muscle car five spokes are still the best route they do make the torque thrust in the peagus wheels aswell here they are on my 56

aren't they supposedly 23s? (23 Ts or something like that is what i bought)... i got a set of those but i'm savin em for later when i've had a chance to practice. But they are slightly bigger than these. These are supposed to be 20s but are still 5 spoke and have a very similar shape to torque thrusts, except where the spokes meet in the center. They also seem to be straight spoke rather than curved. at any rate i agree with you and i don't LOVE these wheels but the pics suck where i ordered them so it was basically just a guess.

black2002ls
07-26-2007, 11:53 AM
if they are the little touch up cans and you bought them from wal mart, then I'm pretty sure they are the lacquers. It will say on the can if it is the acrylic enamel. If it is NOT the acrylic enamel, they can be sanded within 24 hours. I've completed paint jobs primer to clear in 24 hours spraying duplicolor

city_ofthe_south
07-27-2007, 09:54 AM
if they are the little touch up cans and you bought them from wal mart, then I'm pretty sure they are the lacquers. It will say on the can if it is the acrylic enamel. If it is NOT the acrylic enamel, they can be sanded within 24 hours. I've completed paint jobs primer to clear in 24 hours spraying duplicolor

yeah that's what they are .. got em from the auto parts store. the paint doesn't specify but the clear says that if i wait more than an hour after applying the color i must wait 7 days. basically, according to the instructions, i could have finished the complete job in an hour but if i wait longer than that is when i have to wait. I mean, i'll give it a shot if you think so cause i hate waiting (i started 2 other cars for that reason). the color started drying very fast ... in minutes it wasn't even tacky and it'll be 3 full days today. every bit of the milky effect went away and it actually looks pretty good with the exception of orange peal. i mean, for my first go and thinking i messed it up, it's not half bad ... or i should say, i'm surprised. thanks for the help btw.

black2002ls
07-28-2007, 01:28 AM
I would go ahead and sand it. start with some 1500 got to 2000, if you can get a higher grit than that move up. if not break out some sort of scratch x then polish.

city_ofthe_south
07-30-2007, 08:41 AM
I would go ahead and sand it. start with some 1500 got to 2000, if you can get a higher grit than that move up. if not break out some sort of scratch x then polish.

turns out the clear is enamel but i sanded anyway. worked fine and i did wet sand with 2000 then got scratch x. i'll have pics tomorrow of it assembled and i forgot to bring pics of the body today ... sorry. at any rate it came out quite satisfactory i think except what do you polish with? i tried turtle wax finish/polish .... i think it is actually more coarse than the scratch x. but either way i still have swirl marks. i know right now i don't have access to anything specifically made for models in this town so any advise on something automotive would be most helpful. thanks for all the help black. (btw is your name in ref to the Lincoln LS? i love that car)

black2002ls
07-30-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't do a lot of polishing any more. I have started using 2 part urethane clear and they come out so good that most of the time all I do is wax. I wish my SN were referring to the Lincoln LS. Its referring to an S-10. I've actually got a black 2003 S-10 LS trim now

city_ofthe_south
07-31-2007, 08:32 AM
well, i'll get better pics tonight if the sun cooperates. it was cloudy and just not great for shooting a black car i don't think. like me and black have been going back and forth about, the car has some swirls but looks pretty good in these pics. bright light will show them much more. if anyone has any tips i'm all ears. the frickin thing didn't go together exactly as i wanted it too because of the glass which i hadn't test fitted ... live and learn i guess. so the stance is back to more or less level .. no rake. i was taking the pics alone and it was wet out and so i didn't notice the hood not down correctly and blah blah blah ... more pics to come is all that matters. i don't exactly know how to get the brake lights colored good ... i wish they weren't part of the bumper. i also wanted to totally change the rear bumper set up because i think it is too big and heavy looking but at the same time i really wanted my black car to have chrome on it other than the wheels. then again, the front bumper isn't chrome so i thought the back one still looks heavy. i also don't like the shape for the lp ... but i don't quite have the skills to cut it all appart and rechrome a custom made bumper. If i were drawing it instead it would have been easy ... or actually building the car even would have been better. so i just left it. .... a Firebird bumper hhmmm. aaaaanyway....
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/gto_model/gto_sideabove.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/gto_model/gto_rear.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/gto_model/gto_leftsideabove.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/gto_model/gto_frontsideabove.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/city_ofthe_south/gto_model/gto_directfront.jpg

black2002ls
07-31-2007, 09:15 AM
That paint looks GREAT. Great job overall!!

city_ofthe_south
07-31-2007, 02:55 PM
That paint looks GREAT. Great job overall!!

:) thanks a lot. the pics lie quite a bit .. the swirls really bother me and i didn't get picky in the corners like i should have .. there is still some orange peal here and there. I diiiiidn't quite trust my color sanding skills but i do now a lot more. 4 coats of clear protected me from cutting through.

PASD U
08-01-2007, 06:20 PM
That looks good.

black2002ls
08-01-2007, 10:03 PM
:) thanks a lot. the pics lie quite a bit .. the swirls really bother me and i didn't get picky in the corners like i should have .. there is still some orange peal here and there. I diiiiidn't quite trust my color sanding skills but i do now a lot more. 4 coats of clear protected me from cutting through.

It takes time. If you ever get the chance, pick up an airbrush (good quality) and start using 2 part urethane clear. Makes those paint jobs really pop!

city_ofthe_south
08-02-2007, 08:02 AM
That looks good.
appreciate you sayin so

city_ofthe_south
08-02-2007, 08:09 AM
It takes time. If you ever get the chance, pick up an airbrush (good quality) and start using 2 part urethane clear. Makes those paint jobs really pop!
i might have to. i have a little airbrush compressor sitting around and our big compressor so it's not like i couldn't i guess. i don't know how far into this i'll get just because i do so much other stuff. but here's another random question, not really .... is there an RT hood for Revell Challengers? I have the flat hood with the hole hacked in it and I used the TA scoop on a different AMT Challenger ... which I shouldn't have probably, looking back. I guess I could steal the TA scoop back but I really want to use an RT hood. I'm thinking about making a Challenger loosely based on the car from "Drive" with the blue stripe. My black paint job went pretty well and I have black left too so you know.

PASD U
08-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I've done a few paint jobs here and there. Have always been afraid to make that transition to an airbrush. But I've always heard it's better (predictable results) than rattle cans. I guess with either it's just a matter of prep and patience.

mlomaka
08-03-2007, 09:37 AM
About the hoods, I heard the AMT die cast hood fits, but I haven't tried it. There are so companies that make the hoods in resin from the old MPC kits. These will work, but will need to be widened a bit.

Garage Dog 65
08-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Sinister looking ride !!

Really nice job !

Jim

city_ofthe_south
08-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Sinister looking ride !!

Really nice job !

Jim

thanks. i'm practicing more painting on a camaro right now, then comes the Challenger.

G-Body
08-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Looking good love that black and im a huge GTO fan my first car was a corvette yellow 70 Goat man i miss that car!

city_ofthe_south
08-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Looking good love that black and im a huge GTO fan my first car was a corvette yellow 70 Goat man i miss that car!

i'll bet you do. thanks for the comment. i really like black. you'll probably find me drawing more black cars most likely.

Smokin13
08-13-2007, 05:22 PM
looks good keep it up

city_ofthe_south
08-16-2007, 09:02 AM
looks good keep it up

thanks, my Challenger is in the works right now ... going slower than i'd like but it's taking a little more body work than i expected for a Revell.