PDA

View Full Version : Big Stuff 3 distributor questions?

southsidehacker
05-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Anybody have any suggestions for a MSD dist. to use in a 383 SBC using a MSD 6AL and a Big Stuff 3. I think I can use any locked out MSD distributor using it to trigger the BS3 but I'm not sure. I have experience with aftermarket EFI on LS1's and Ford Mod Motors with individual coils and it's obvious how the timing is manipulated throughout the RPM range on these motors. How does EFI alter the timing on the old school sbc's with no moving parts in the distributor, or how does it work on the tbi chevy's of the 80's or the vortec motors in the late 90's chevy trucks? Maybe I've overlooked something obvious or I'm just not thinking straight :willy: somebody help me out!! The BS3 installation manual is very vauge when it comes to dist selection. Your knowledge is appreciated. Any links to EFI tuning fourms out there?

camcojb
05-17-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm running an MSD HEI for computer control (no spark advance in the distributor) with my BS3. You can also run the MSD billet dists like the 85551 with an IPU, just lock out the advance (instructions on how to do it come with the distributor).

Jody

ssmoore
06-21-2005, 02:26 PM
does that dist have the sync signal? or do you have to run a crank trigger also to get it?

steve

RickWI
06-22-2005, 02:33 PM
The shutter wheel is modified to have only one tang which will trigger the sync signal. MSD also has a distributor out at has an internal crank and cam sync all built into the distributor, to allow sequential without the crank trigger.

ssmoore
06-25-2005, 12:06 PM
is the part number for that dist 2345?

Steve

ssmoore
07-04-2005, 11:28 PM
I was confused about this as well but I think I have it figured out. You will need a msd 2345 dist or a regular pro billet and a crank trigger. The 2345 has a cam sync built in so thats the way im going. The cam sync wires on the dist will connect to the cam wires on the bs3 then connect the crank wires on the bs3 to the org/blk and violet/blk on the 2345 dist. After that you connect the points wire from the bs3 to the points wire on a cd box like a 6al or 7al. I beleive the points wire is the one the bs3 uses to control the timing. After that you connect the 6al to the coil and power and your done. The hei 4way packard connector on the bs3 will not be used. Its is only used for factory style ignitions. Thats the part that had me confused. Hope this is right and is of some help to you.

steve

ssmoore
07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
diregard the above info... There is no way to phase the rotor in the 2345. To put it nice im getting pretty pissed at this whole setup.. I bought a 2345 for $429 non returnable special order.That was advertised to be the new setup for running seq efi without a crank trigger. Then find out I have to phase the rotor but it doesnt have a adjustable rotor. So I call msd and they tell me to run a crank trigger lol. Nobody seems to know what it really takes to do this unless you have a ls1 and can just plug it in.. BS3 like southside said has very little info in there manual to explain what you need to make this work.

steve