PDA

View Full Version : Roof Skin Replacement

ItDoRun
07-06-2007, 02:30 PM
I need some opinions, please. My roof skin on my 68 Camaro has several waves in it and I was wondering if it would be best to replace it or skim coat it with metal filler and block it out? I have a new reproduction roof skin from NPD in my shop, but can always return it or sell it if needed. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

the camtender
07-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Replace it

Jerry

68protouring454
07-06-2007, 04:01 PM
the goodmark skin fits really really good, only need to trim the rain gutter thinner, other then that they git great, but if its just waves i would hammer dolly what i could and shrink stretch, that is if the metal is in really good shape.
goodluck i would not hesitate to replace it though

LL CUSTOM
07-08-2007, 08:51 AM
IF THE STRUCTURE OF YOUR ORIGINAL SKIN AND SEAMS ARE INTACTED WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO CUT UP A CAR TO FIX DENTS ? I WOULD APPLY A LITE COAT OF BLUE LAY OUT OR SOME TYPE OF BLACK SPRAY BOMB AS A GUIDE COAT AND EITHER USE A VIXEN FILE OR A LONG SANDING BLOCK WITH 80 GRIT. FIND MY HIGH AND LOW SPOTS AND SLAP HAMMER AND DOLLEY THEM OUT. METAL FINISH IT SMOOTH AND LAY ON A FEW GOOD COATS OF SPRAY POLY AND BLOCK IT OUT. JUST MY OPINION, IT IS YOUR CAR. UNLESS I WAS DEALING WITH RUST I WOULD LEAVE THE FATORY SEAMS INTACTED.
ANY WAY'S GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE. :thumbsup: LATER LARRY
www.llcustomperformance.com

Steve1968LS2
07-08-2007, 10:13 AM
the goodmark skin fits really really good, only need to trim the rain gutter thinner, other then that they git great, but if its just waves i would hammer dolly what i could and shrink stretch, that is if the metal is in really good shape.
goodluck i would not hesitate to replace it though

It's true :)

My '69 got a Goodmark roof and the shop did one on another first gen. They fit really nice.

If you car needs a new roof that is...

ItDoRun
07-08-2007, 05:15 PM
I dropped the car off to the body shop yesterday and we looked it over one good time with both of the body men there. My suggestion was to skim coat it with metal filler and block it out. One of the body men wants to leave it alone and the other is leaning more towards replacing it. I think the labor will be somewhat the same either way they decide. The roof has a lot of waves in it and my statement to them was to make absolutely certain it doesn't have a flaw in it when I get it back. This was the only bad spot on the car when we restored it 15 years ago and it makes me sick everytime I look at it. Most people have never noticed it, but I know it's there.

LL CUSTOM
07-09-2007, 06:21 AM
HOPE IT TURN'S OUT GREAT . IT IS ALWAY'S DIFFICULT TO MAKE A DISCISSION AS TO WHAT THE BEST WAY TO GO IS. HOPEFULLY IF THEY DECIDE TO REPLACE IT THEY TAKE THIER TIME SO THEY THEY DON'T HAVE TO SKIM OUT NEW WRINKELS. :thumbsup: GOOD LUCK LARRY

68protouring454
07-09-2007, 07:37 AM
HOPE IT TURN'S OUT GREAT . IT IS ALWAY'S DIFFICULT TO MAKE A DISCISSION AS TO WHAT THE BEST WAY TO GO IS. HOPEFULLY IF THEY DECIDE TO REPLACE IT THEY TAKE THIER TIME SO THEY THEY DON'T HAVE TO SKIM OUT NEW WRINKELS. :thumbsup: GOOD LUCK LARRY
who are you yelling at?

MarkM66
07-09-2007, 08:20 AM
who are you yelling at?

YOU!!! :rofl:

LL CUSTOM
07-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Sorry Did Not Realise I Was Yelling, Thought I Was Being Supportive. Later Larry

68protouring454
07-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Sorry Did Not Realise I Was Yelling, Thought I Was Being Supportive. Later Larry
capitalizing is like loud talking, and its kind of annoying. Now you go to capitalizing the first letter in each word, there has been only one other guy that did that either here or pro touring and he scammed a few people so they ran him out, hopefully your not the same guy. ip address check time??

LL CUSTOM
07-09-2007, 09:55 AM
sorry i did not know it made a differance. i am not a good typer so i leave the cap locks on. it make's it easier for me. i will try to remember not to do it. i am not a scamer. i am a dye hard car nut who has been building cars for over 35 year's and professionaly for over 25. again i am sorry if i have offened or upset anybody on this site. later larry

the camtender
07-09-2007, 11:56 AM
I dropped the car off to the body shop yesterday and we looked it over one good time with both of the body men there. My suggestion was to skim coat it with metal filler and block it out. One of the body men wants to leave it alone and the other is leaning more towards replacing it. I think the labor will be somewhat the same either way they decide. The roof has a lot of waves in it and my statement to them was to make absolutely certain it doesn't have a flaw in it when I get it back. This was the only bad spot on the car when we restored it 15 years ago and it makes me sick everytime I look at it. Most people have never noticed it, but I know it's there.

I had the same issue with my roof.Probably could have been work out(heat shrinked,skinned etc) but I decided to go ahead and replace it.BOY was I glad I did.When I remove the old one I found rust,on the back side on the front edge @ window trim,that was almost rusting through.
That would have bit me hard down the road after $$$ paint :question:

Jerry

waynegs3
07-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Seems like no matter what you are going to do, you are going to have to block either one. Waves could end up in the new replacement.

andrewmp6
07-24-2007, 08:52 AM
id try hammer and dolly it out some sheet metal came stamped with waves in it.the firewall and core support on my mustang was like that but fixed now.