PDA

View Full Version : Backspacing Help Needed - 67 Camaro - Specs Listed

bigboi
07-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I need some help and advice from you guys...

Here is my scenario...

I have a 67 Camaro running stock suspension w/ drum brakes on all four corners. My plans are to install disc brakes in the near future and lower the car to sit right above the tires after I install the new wheels/tires.

You can see pictures of my car at www.biigboii.com.

Here are my measurements...

Rear:
Drum brake mounting surface to inner wheel well - 5.75"
Drum brake mounting surface to fender lip - 5.25"
Total distance from wheel well to fender lip - 11"

Front:
Drum brake mounting surface to first obstruction - 5"
Note: This obstruction is very close to the backside of the drum brake.

Here is what I want to run...

Rear:
18x9.5 Billet Rally
275/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW
Section Width on 9.5 wheel - 10.9"
Overall Diameter - 26.7"

Front:
18x8 Billet Rally
245/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW
Section Width on 8.5 wheel - 9.6"
Overall Diameter - 25.7"

Backspacing Help...

Rear:
Since my mouting surface to wheel well is 5.75" what backspacing should I go with? 5" or 5.25"? 5" would be safer, but can I get away with 5.25"?

Front:
I have been told to go with a 4.75" BS from another board member. The front is a little harder for me to determine because it doesn't seem as "cut and dry" as measuring the rear. Can any other Camaro owners help me with this?

Thanks Guys!!

Musclerodz
07-06-2007, 02:42 PM
I need some help and advice from you guys...

Here is my scenario...

I have a 67 Camaro running stock suspension w/ drum brakes on all four corners. My plans are to install disc brakes in the near future and lower the car to sit right above the tires after I install the new wheels/tires.

You can see pictures of my car at www.biigboii.com.

Here are my measurements...

Rear:
Drum brake mounting surface to inner wheel well - 5.75"
Drum brake mounting surface to fender lip - 5.25"
Total distance from wheel well to fender lip - 11"

Front:
Drum brake mounting surface to first obstruction - 5"
Note: This obstruction is very close to the backside of the drum brake.

Here is what I want to run...

Rear:
18x9.5 Billet Rally
275/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW
Section Width on 9.5 wheel - 10.9"
Overall Diameter - 26.7"

Front:
18x8 Billet Rally
245/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW
Section Width on 8.5 wheel - 9.6"
Overall Diameter - 25.7"

Backspacing Help...

Rear:
Since my mouting surface to wheel well is 5.75" what backspacing should I go with? 5" or 5.25"? 5" would be safer, but can I get away with 5.25"?

Front:
I have been told to go with a 4.75" BS from another board member. The front is a little harder for me to determine because it doesn't seem as "cut and dry" as measuring the rear. Can any other Camaro owners help me with this?

Thanks Guys!!I would get the discs installed first as some aftermarket systems will change the backspace requirements. Get one of our WheelRite tools and no more needing to guess on the backspace and get it wrong. Here is the link: http://musclerodzstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=148

ProdigyCustoms
07-06-2007, 09:05 PM
We have the opportunity to do a lot of wheel set ups and brake installs in our shop, amoung other things. This is one big advantage selling parts and actually having real world experiance in a real active shop, being able to provide real world experiences testing and fitting products. We have done dozens over the years. Set the rears up with a 5.5" and you can add a 1/4" spacer if needed. It's easier to move them out then move them in when your splitting hairs like this stuffing that much tire and wheel packages. On the front a 4.75" to 5" is fine.

bigboi
07-07-2007, 11:10 AM
We have the opportunity to do a lot of wheel set ups and brake installs in our shop, amoung other things. This is one big advantage selling parts and actually having real world experiance in a real active shop, being able to provide real world experiences testing and fitting products. We have done dozens over the years. Set the rears up with a 5.5" and you can add a 1/4" spacer if needed. It's easier to move them out then move them in when your splitting hairs like this stuffing that much tire and wheel packages. On the front a 4.75" to 5" is fine.

Ok, I get what you are saying. A 5.25" BS would put the wheel right in the middle of the wheel well. Since I am trying to stuff a wide tire in there go with the 5.5" BS. This way I have room to move it out with a spacer if needed.

Ok, here is a stilly question now... What bolt pattern is the 67 Camaro? Need this info for ordering...

:)

Thanks!

camcojb
07-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Ok, I get what you are saying. A 5.25" BS would put the wheel right in the middle of the wheel well. Since I am trying to stuff a wide tire in there go with the 5.5" BS. This way I have room to move it out with a spacer if needed.

Ok, here is a stilly question now... What bolt pattern is the 67 Camaro? Need this info for ordering...

:)

Thanks!

5 on 4.75" bolt circle. 17 X 9.5 with 5.5" bs on the rear is the most popular fit, and has worked on many many cars.

Jody

bigboi
07-07-2007, 11:53 AM
5 on 4.75" bolt circle. 17 X 9.5 with 5.5" bs on the rear is the most popular fit, and has worked on many many cars.

Jody

Hmmm... I am thinking about this more... (Heck I have been thinking about this for a week now) - LOL.

If I went with a 5.5" BS and my mount surface to wheel well is 5.75" - Only .25" of room for tire bulge is cutting it close when the tire is mounted. Right??

Or is there something else I am not taking into consideration here??

Sorry guys. Just need to make sure I make the right choice. Thanks for your help!

69 Ghost
12-01-2007, 08:33 PM
I am posting here because this thread seems to have some of the best backspacing info. I am looking to do something similiar. A C5 brake setup or hybrid with C4 rotors. I am going to get either 17 or 18 inch wheels and I am pretty set on A/R Torque Thrusts with 8 inch rim widths. The tire size will be dictated by the front end which will more than likely be a 245 40/45 series depending on the wheel size. This is just about my last project on this car and it is only a street driver but may see a few runs down a track some day. Currently I have the suspension done with GW uppers, del-alums, Guild mod, KYBs, and hotchkis springs. I want to keep the same size tires front and back for rotation capabilities and I am on a bit of a budget. What is the best backspacing to use when running the same size tire f/r? It appears that a 4.75 or 5 inch is what I need. My rear is a 12bolt with no tubbing. I do not want any rubbing! I lost out on some 18inch rims because they had 4inch backspacing and I was not sure they would fit.