PDA

View Full Version : LT1 and electric water pumps

Musclerodz
07-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Any advantage to running a Mezeire electric pump over the engine driven pump? I am debating on running one.

Mike

Derek69SS
07-03-2007, 05:58 PM
It's good for freeing up a little horsepower (not sure how much exactly) but the downfall is that you're relying on an electric motor to run constantly when you drive... a lot of guys carry all the necessary parts to swap back to cam-driven on longer trips just in case it fails.

Musclerodz
07-03-2007, 06:46 PM
It's good for freeing up a little horsepower (not sure how much exactly) but the downfall is that you're relying on an electric motor to run constantly when you drive... a lot of guys carry all the necessary parts to swap back to cam-driven on longer trips just in case it fails.
That is my main concern. Is it worth the extra worry of failure on a road trip.

Mike

rocketman
07-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Once you switch you can't use the cam driven feature,you have to modify the factory housing,I run an electric pump on my 94 z and never had any problem ,and its 4 yrs old.

Musclerodz
07-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Once you switch you can't use the cam driven feature,you have to modify the factory housing,I run an electric pump on my 94 z and never had any problem ,and its 4 yrs old.
whose are you running?

Mike

rocketman
07-04-2007, 03:56 PM
It's a Mezeire,I think its 4 yrs old,I dont recall ,you have to fill the bearing hole in the back on the of the pump.

BRIAN
07-04-2007, 10:36 PM
The cooling system what a LT1 is famous for and it works. Why mess with it? GM or Evans whoever you beleive did an incredible job. I have one in one of my cars and it works flawless. Also do not believe all the opti stuff. Add a vent like the later Vettes and you are set.

Leave the electrics to all out race cars or special installations.

rocketman
07-04-2007, 10:55 PM
The opti's aren't bad,I went back to one when I took my 396 out of it.The cooling systme is good,but the pumps just don't do hi hp IMO

HAULNSS
07-05-2007, 08:21 AM
The Impala SS guys have been running the Mezeire for awhile and they seem to work pretty good. There have been a few failures, however, so some guys carry the extra motor for roadside swaps. I think there is a guy that makes a custom wiring harness with a built in warning light if the unit fails.

They work great for quick cool downs at the dragstrip, but often have trouble keeping up on a road course. A friend went back to stock on his Camaro because the constant high RPM's on the track were too much for the Mezeire.

There is a boatload of great LT1 info on the Impala SS Forum. (http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php) :yes:

Good luck,
Randy

Dave95z28
07-05-2007, 10:40 PM
My Mez has over 10,000 miles on it. Make sure it is wired in properly with a good relay and it will run problem free for a long time. Advantages of running a Mez besides a few HP is that one you can run a much lower cost higher quality timing set than the LTX upgrade options and another is that you can run the pump while sitting at the track an keep the coolant circulating.

Dave