Matt Lazich's 69 Anvil Mustang                                                                                  Lateral-g.net February '11 Feature of the Month

Please install Flash® and turn on Javascript.

Anvil Auto - Carbon Fiber Hood, fenders, chin spoiler, deck lid, rear quarter extensions, and rear spoiler

Suspension

JME front suspension - push rod activated cantilever inboard
Maier Racing rear suspension - push rod activated cantilever inboard
JRI coil over shocks
Currie Enterprises - nodular 3rd member
Flaming River electric power steering, rack & pinion, U-joints and shafts
Baer Brakes - 6 piston calipers, 14" Rotors



Drivetrain

Jon Kaase Boss 9 punched to 521 cid – 805hp
Electromotive hidden ignition & fuel injection system
Modern Driveline Tremic 5spd, Kevlar clutch, Quick Time bell housing.
Fuel Safe - fuel cell


Wheels and tires

EVOD Industries - One of kind rims patterned after late 60's Indy car Michelin PSII Front 275/35ZR18 Rear 345/30ZR19
 

Paint

Mick’s Paint


Interior

Eric Thorsen Custom Upholstery


Custom Gauges

Redline Gauge Works





We picked it up from the previous owner in Simi Valley which also happens to be where Steve Strope's shop is. I found the car on Ebay and it was only a few miles from Pure Vision. It had very little rust and probably spent it's whole life in So. Cal. It wasn't a rare car although it is a real sport roof (fastback). The original drive train was long gone and it had a brand new engine from Hawaii Racing which is right up the street from Pure Vision. It came with some other goodies that the previous owner had intended to use in his restoration that he never got to. I sold off the engine, but still have some other items like the wheels, fold down rear seat, subframe connectors, gas tank and other parts.


The original grille was modified to eliminate the headlights mounted in it. Another grille was cannibalized to get the section out of it to fill in the holes. Those parts were pinned and glued into place after carefully cutting and sanding them to fit exactly by Steve's guy Kelly Cox who used to be a model maker. Interestingly enough, I used to be a model builder (and still am in some respects) as was Steve Strope. No wonder we all worked together so well! Other shots show early fitting of the JME front suspension as well as kluging in the tail light panels from the '67/68 tail light area into the existing original tail panel. The angle of the 67/68 is a bit different, so there was a lot of finessing to get it to transition nicely.


Included are some pics from last year's Grand National Roadster show at the Pure Vision booth where the Mustang made it's public debut as the next halo project for Steve and the boys. At this year's Grand National, it will be shown completed. Since the car had to be done for SEMA, it really was completed in a short 10 months. Like most Pure Vision creations, this car is bristling with hidden treasures at every turn, only this car has way more than any of it's predecessors. Some details aren't even noticeable unless you put this car next to a stock Mustang. One of the most time consuming and difficult to pull off was without making it look goofy, is the widening of the rear quarters by @ 1.5" on each side. This was an idea I had early on that Steve was a bit leery of doing because of the fear of said goofiness. So, I modified some scale plastic Mustang model kits to see what it would look like and how best to accomplish the look I wanted and Steve agreed to do it. Now it's one of the coolest features of the car because no one can notice it unless you tell them. Because of this, we were able to cram the 345/30/19 Michelins in there. We also modified the front fenders by widening them about 1.25 inches each before we used them to make molds for our carbon fiber fenders. The JME suspension pushed the front wheels way out, so these widened fenders were almost a necessity. I would have liked to have gotten a deeper dish on the front wheels, but form follows function in this car (for the most part).


Also included are some pics showing the development of the rear bumper pattern. I first started with some urethane foam (about 10 lb. density) roughly cut to shape and mounted to a steel pipe with threaded studs welded on to it where the bumper mounts to the car. After adding pieces of foam to get the whole bumper blocked out, I shaped the foam to conform to the car's derriere. Once satisfied with the shape, the foam was covered with fiberglass cloth and resin. Then body filler was slathered on to fill in all the seams and areas that needed it. A lot of sanding, then primer, filler and sanding resulted in a nice pattern from which to make a mold for carbon fiber parts.


The CNC machined gas cap and horn button were made out of polycarbonate which were later back painted with black and chrome.




 

Home | Forums | Members | Contact
Copyright © Lateral-g.net  All Rights Reserved