Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 10-16-2014, 02:41 PM

Default Wrench brands Quality

About 5 years ago maybe I bought a set of MAC-tools Wrenches, Knuckle-Savers. Thinking that it should be really good tools.

They worked, but they were very soft, and actually not what I expected, soft! in the open end..

Example:
Say wen you need to turn a steering arm to adjust toe-in, you usually need to use the open end. There the MAC wrenches always opened-up or slipped if it was somewhat stuck.

But with Snap-On Flank Drive they just bite in! And REALLY grip, on the Snap-On wrenches you can actually use the open end!

I thought MAC-Tools was sort of almost Snap-On-ish quality? Was I wrong?

I have some other MAC tools that is nice, but not their wrenches. Unless they have other quality standards in Europe? Its expensive here!

And yes, the open end on any wrench is usually soft and unusable on heavy stuff, unless its really big sizes.
Except SnapOns though! I have had a lot of Stahlwille, Hazet, and other good tools, but SnapOn is really the King of Wrenches, except they are very wide. Stahlwille are very slim and nice there on the other hand.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:03 PM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Never been a Fan of MAC Tools - they are owned by Stanley and both come from the same Plant
Old 10-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Ive got both Snapon and Mac opened wrenchs. The Snapons are about 25 years old and look beat up, the Mac are about 20 years old and look brand new? The reason is the Mac are junk so I never grab one, I don't even keep them in my regular box their in the house in my basement shop.

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 10-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Never been a Fan of MAC Tools - they are owned by Stanley and both come from the same Plant
Yep!! I have Snap-On for most of my tools. I started buying them as an apprentice to replace the Craftsman tools that I started with. I have some Mac wrenches at home and they work fine, but not on the job. Always had issues with the quality.

Chris
70 Chevelle. Roadster Shop Chassis, The shop llc/ Jon Lind interior LS3/6speed. Thanks to Precision Classics and Collision Eugene, Or. http://precision-classics.com/
Build thread:https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39517
Old 10-17-2014, 03:02 PM

Ah, I actually thought it was high end, before owning it myself.. I have started to gradually change all I can over to Snap-On, but it is expensive, so takes some time

I have an Macsimizer tool box, and thats nice, their pliers are rebranded Channel Lock, atleast those I have, some nice screwdrivers too. But stopped buying Mac.. And yes, their Sockets! Their sockets were awful! I have some regular Hazet 6-point sockets that I use as "air-sockets" And I bet they never fail. The Macs were made of gum wrapper, in comparison..

And I like to buy just polished tools, because it looks so good
Old 10-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

There are some things that you can buy on a second or third tier brand because the Snap On products are just rebadged and over priced but when It comes to hand tools there is no substitute... Wrenches, ratchets, sockets, screw drivers... all of mine are Snap On for a reason.

1970 Chevelle I built years back as a Lat-G Feature https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=43116
Old 10-24-2014, 11:14 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

I have found really good Deals on Snap-On at Pawn Shops.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I have found really good Deals on Snap-On at Pawn Shops.
Yes! I have too! I got a 3/8" curved handle flex head snap on for under $40 in perfect shape. In 2009 / 2010 the pawn shops were loaded with quality tools.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:41 AM

Without a doubt flank drive snap on wrenches, the best hands down.
Switched all my wrenches over after I got a job in a shop.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:15 AM

Nice thread guys, I don't know if many of you know I was a Snap On Franchisee for 8 years. I agree they are the best obviously, not only because I sold them. I use them as well. Yes they are spendy and a person needs to look at them as somewhat of a investment. Like one of the members stated if you don't like the wrenches you don't use them. So it's a waste of money.
I had customers wine about the price, but never the quality. They snap on dealers have weekly specials. That is the time to buy.. I also watch ebay as well. Plus they are American made!