Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 04-13-2016, 10:57 PM

Default 15" Camaro rally rims on c6 spindles??

Ok so here's the story. 68 Camaro will be using a DSE front subframe.The build is for street use primarily. I've been looking at wheel and tire combos for months and still don't see anything that looks better to me than the 15" rally wheel. Considering the 17's but still gravitate toward the old school. I spoke with DSE and they say they get asked the question all the time. Guess I don't take no for an answer very well. My question are there any options, I'm assuming the spindle is too tall for the 15"?? Ideas, suggestions??
Thanks Dave
Old 04-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Click link below. It's your best bet to keep that exact look your after and fit the c6 spindle.

http://www.americanracing.com/wheel/4430/vn327-rally
Old 04-14-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-it View Post
Click link below. It's your best bet to keep that exact look your after and fit the c6 spindle.

http://www.americanracing.com/wheel/4430/vn327-rally
Thanks man, I've looked hard and long at the rims out there that copy the GM rally style in a 17" I think Wheel Vintiques makes the best copy, but still doesn't "look right" to me. Too much rim showing and not enough sidewall, I could go with a 275 50 17 tire to gain sidewall only one tire that size out there.
I'm looking for a shorter spindle that will keep the geometry close.
Thanks Again for the reply.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:37 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Why spend all that money on DSE frame when you already know you want to use a tire (and maybe a spindle) that will substantially compromise the chassis' performance?

Not trying to be a jerk, just seems like a modified stock subframe might meet your goals. Btw...what are your goals for the car?

If you're doing the DSE frame just cause you want to and the money that could be saved is a non-issue, then disregard my comments entirely.

Last edited by JKnight; 04-15-2016 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnight View Post
Why spend all that money on DSE frame when you already know you want to use a tire (and maybe a spindle) that will substantially compromise the chassis' performance?

Not trying to be a jerk, just seems like a modified stock subframe might meet your goals. Btw...what are your goals for the car?

If you're doing the DSE frame just cause you want to and the money that could be saved is a non-issue, then disregard my comments entirely.
Good comment that has also crossed my mind but I do what the added stability and rack and pinion steering that DSE offers.
I'm looking to see if a C4 spindle control arm set up my work, speedtech also has a spindle. LG motorsports has a drag spindle but no one had geometry on mind for roll center when it was fabricated, it's primary use is for corvette rear to use 15" drag slicks.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:06 AM

The spindle is too tall for a 15" wheel.

The only way to make it shorter is to move the ball joints closer together.

No one has even mentioned the tie rod end yet.

All of that can be modified to fit inside a wheel, but now you have a 7000 dollar subframe that bumpsteers, has a roll center at about the throttle body, and a garbage camber curve.

A 275/50-17 is almost 28" tall, pretty sure that will be a no go.

If you are set on 15s, look at the Heidts or TCI subframes. Either one of those will take a 15" wheel.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 04-15-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
The spindle is too tall for a 15" wheel.

The only way to make it shorter is to move the ball joints closer together.

No one has even mentioned the tie rod end yet.

All of that can be modified to fit inside a wheel, but now you have a 7000 dollar subframe that bumpsteers, has a roll center at about the throttle body, and a garbage camber curve.

A 275/50-17 is almost 28" tall, pretty sure that will be a no go.

If you are set on 15s, look at the Heidts or TCI subframes. Either one of those will take a 15" wheel.
Great input, I'll have a look at those subframes, I'm kinda stuck on the DSE subframe.

Wondering if I can machine a set of spindles for the DSE setup and have the upper ball joint under the control arm instead of the spindle coming over the top of the control arm. I don't see where geometry would be effected as long as the control arms stay the same.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado80439 View Post
Great input, I'll have a look at those subframes, I'm kinda stuck on the DSE subframe.
Then you are kind of stuck with at least a 17" wheel, to put it bluntly.

Quote:
Wondering if I can machine a set of spindles for the DSE setup and have the upper ball joint under the control arm instead of the spindle coming over the top of the control arm. I don't see where geometry would be effected as long as the control arms stay the same.
In this example, geometry has nothing to do with the position of the control arm and everything to do with the position of the ball joint. Move the ball joint, geometry is out the window, move the tie rod end, geometry is out the window.

All of that aside. A 15" wheel, with the spectacular array of all season tires that you have to choose from, mounted on a DSE subframe is the suspension equivalent of giving your paycheck to a stripper every Friday night because you think she loves you. It seems like a good idea and you will feel good about doing it but in the end you will realize you wasted a lot of effort and money.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 04-15-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
Then you are kind of stuck with at least a 17" wheel, to put it bluntly.

In this example, geometry has nothing to do with the position of the control arm and everything to do with the position of the ball joint. Move the ball joint, geometry is out the window, move the tie rod end, geometry is out the window.

All of that aside. A 15" wheel, with the spectacular array of all season tires that you have to choose from, mounted on a DSE subframe is the suspension equivalent of giving your paycheck to a stripper every Friday night because you think she loves you. It seems like a good idea and you will feel good about doing it but in the end you will realize you wasted a lot of effort and money.
Good analogy looks like i"ll have to find my favorite 18, 19 inch wheel combo.
Thanks Donny