Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 06-11-2023, 12:19 AM

Default 69 Camaro Subframe Connector Question

Tried the search function but no answers found. I’m installing DSE subframe connectors and the template gives a measurement of 4.75” to the pinch weld on the rocker at the rear. Mine is 5.0625”. I know that there were wide tolerances for these old cars but I’m trying to be as perfect as possible. Is 9/16” too far out signaling there is something I need to look at before I start cutting? The front measurement spec’d on the template is dead on at 5”. I squared the subframe, it’s an 1/8th out when measured diagonally, which I thought was probably as good as I could expect. Has anyone run across anything that I need to account for or is this just a case of an old car with loose assembly specs? Thanks!

Last edited by Scubachef; 06-11-2023 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-11-2023, 06:32 AM

I'm just getting ready to do mine so went and checked what mine looks like. What are you measuring from to get the rear at 5.06xxx? The frame rail is not as wide as the subframe connector so it's going to be different if you are measuring from the frame rail which is 1.5 inches wide.

For comparison I have 5.5 from the frame rail to the pinchweld at the at the front of the frame rail. The connector is 3 inches wide so 3 minus 1.5 is 1.5. Divide that by 2 is 3/4. 5.5 minus 3/4 puts me on the money for the rear location centered on the frame rail. I think the reference measurement to the pinchweld in the rear is to keep is straight on the floor going up to the subframe. If you have something different I would do what you need to so that the connector is parallel to the floor pan reinforcement ribs for aesthetics, but I'm not claiming to be an expert on the topic either.
Old 06-11-2023, 09:53 AM

Good morning. Thanks for the reply, I’m measuring from the outside edge of the template to the inside of the pinch weld. I set everything up according to the video DSE has on their YouTube of their fabricator Mark doing an install, so that rear template placement I got by going 3 inches from the inside edge of the rear frame rail. That would make the inside of frame rail to inside of pinch weld dimension 7.75”….unless I’m misunderstanding something.
Old 06-11-2023, 10:29 AM

What is the outside edge of your frame rail to the pinchweld measurement at the front of the frame rail? Not the spring pocket the frame rail.
Old 06-11-2023, 01:33 PM

5 3/8” outside of frame rail to pinch weld. I measured the inside of frame rail to pinch weld and it is 7 3/4” as it should be, so I’m a little confused by that. In the first pic you can see the scribe mark representing the inside of the frame rail which is what I based the template placement off. There is some sort of damage to the pinch weld you can see, I measured in front of and behind that area a few inches to rule out that spot skewing the measurement. The last pic shows the template. It’s not parallel to the reinforcement rib, but I’ve triple checked all the layout and the measurements are according to the process in that YouTube video tutorial. I squared the subframe by using the alignment pin holes, and measurement points were the forward control arm mounting point and the flanged hole next to the spring pocket on rear. I measured it three times to make sure I got the same result each time but that template being off makes me second guess it.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2023, 01:47 PM

probably best to call DSE tomorrow and ask, and please post back what you hear.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:10 PM

I sent an email to them Friday night when i was doing all this. I’ll definitely post what they say!
Old 06-11-2023, 07:55 PM

Pretty sure measuring diagonally like that is adding significant error. At least I have not measured like that in the several sets I have installed. Measure from the pinch weld to a square sitting on the line.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
camcojb (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 11:55 PM

Good point! Thank you.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:52 AM

Spoke to DSE this morning and they said not to worry about the connector to pinch weld measurement if the subframe was square. I asked why there was a difference in the measurements on the template front to back and he wasn’t sure. Transferred to someone else but 45 minutes of hold time later I moved on with my day. I’m going to remeasure the sub, make sure the connector is parallel the best I can and go for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scubachef For This Useful Post:
srode1 (06-12-2023)