Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Default Son's First C10 - Red Rover

Hey guys, I joined a few weeks ago and just now putting up a build thread of my father/son project I am doing with my oldest boy, Korbin. He turned 16 last month and we are trying to finish up his first vehicle. He actually bought this truck from an old friend of mine a few years ago. We started on it right away, but as many projects go, life got in the way of completing it by his 16th birthday. We are on a fast track now to get it completed enought to take to a car show at the end of this month. We should have the cab back from the painter Friday of this week. While he is painting the bed and fenders, we will be putting it all together.

Anyway, here is what he bought for $250 of his own money the summer he turned 13.:

and he got this one as part of the package:

We started on the blue one and gave it a wash before brining it home for a full inspection. We decided to take it completly apart and redo everything. From a distance it did not look to bad.

Did not run so we pulled the motor out to find out what was wrong. We found a broken flex plate, damaged harmonic balancer and a locked up bottom end. It was a 305 so off to the scrapper it went.

Fast forward about a year and we had this:

by this time we had modified the frame for the rear notch and raised the front crossmember up in the frame 1.5" to get the lower arms up off the ground. We added dropped spindles and 13" corvette brakes to the front and did a flip kit in the rear. The cab had a ton of rust in it and we decided to use 2008 Silverado seats, so I built a custom floor to get the seats how we wanted and to clear the 4L60e trans. The engine is a 5.3 out of a 2000 GMC 1500 and we set it back as far as we could to help with handling. Korbin wants it to handle and stop well so that we can Autocross it from time to time. Up to this point we have done all the work ourselves either in the yard/garage at home, or is a shop I had rented for another venture that did not work out. While at the shop we did most of the metal work on the cab and got the Rack & Pinion steering set up in the frame and put the frame back together.

1965 Chevrolet C10
1982 Chevrolet C10 - My son's Truck - Sunburn
Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 AM

October/November 2012 the frame looked like this:

In December 2012, we had the frame completed with the major changes and took it to a local car show and got a bunch of good feedback. Here are some shots from the show of the front suspension:

1965 Chevrolet C10
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 AM

Welcome Karl - Great to see another Father-Son project!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

That's awesome you and your son are building this together. I would have killed to have something like this for a first car. Cool project!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 AM

In May 2013, we moved everything to the house and took over the garage. This gave us the chance to do a final mock up of the body for paint work.

Made the garage a temp spraybooth for the epoxy primer.

After that we bought a Harbor Freight portable garage to make a spraybooth and shot the Raptor liner on the bottom of the cab:

Fast forward to current times. We have just finished the brake lines and most of the fuel lines on the frame. We farmed out the final paint work to a local guy since we are trying to get this thing done soon. We have the chassis 90% complete and finishing up the metal work on the bed. Should have the cab back this week and the bed to the painter when we go to pick up the cab. Then it will be a final assembly thrash fest to get it running and driving for the show at the end of this month.

C5 rear brakes with in hat E-brake adapted to a 12 bolt rear end:

Korbin is tapping a hole for the brake line clamps:

That about brings it up to date at this point. For a full story and build thread go here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

Thanks for looking!

1965 Chevrolet C10
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Welcome Karl - Great to see another Father-Son project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal72 View Post
That's awesome you and your son are building this together. I would have killed to have something like this for a first car. Cool project!
Thanks Guys, we have been enjoying this project and are getting exicted to have it running soon.

Korbin has different wheels for the final assembly, the ones in the mock up picture are just rollers from my old street truck.

1965 Chevrolet C10
Old 07-08-2013, 03:14 PM

Welcome Karl from right down the road in Dallas. Your son is going to be the coolest kid rolling down I-20...east or west. LOL!! Truck is looking good.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Welcome, Karl. The truck looks good. Good luck getting it done in time for the show.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 07-08-2013, 09:24 PM

Good for you two. Would love to get a project going with my son. He turns 13 later this month. I've planting seeds but not much interest yet. I'll keep trying.

Looking forward to watching thing come together for you guys.

Lateral-g Feature - https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=44186

Build thread - https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...ght=brownstone

Special thanks to Matt's Classic Bowties along with
Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Thanks Guys, we did not get much done last night. Korbin got the oil pan swapped to the LSA from the truck pan and I got the rear fenders in their last coat of primer/surfacer.

Tonight I hope to get the bed flipped over to finish the metal work on the bottom side and prep it for epoxy and the Raptor liner on the bottom side.

1965 Chevrolet C10