Password

Old 11-22-2013, 03:42 PM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
2005 is for MOTORCYCLING

SA 2010 is for AUTOMOTIVE/GoKarting etc

M 2010 is Motorcycling so watch out for the SA vs M
You need to check with the Organization you are Racing with - Some go back 2 Cycles, so a SA 2005 can still be used.

T.C.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intocarss View Post
MY SA 2005 BANDIT IS GOOD UNTIL 2017 ..

SA=Special Application, fire retardant lining, racing applications
M= Motorcycle nylon lining

M and SA helmets are built differently, M are build for more abrasion resistance, IE road rash, where SA are build to protect from trauma IE hitting a bar different helmets for different uses, If you are riding a bike the M helmet is better than a SA if you are in car the SA is better choice

Competition Helmets: Helmets meeting SFI Specifications 31.1 (Open Face) and SFI 31.2 (Closed Face) are tested to the highest levels for impact attenuation, penetration resistance, flame resistance and retention capabilites of any helmet in the world. These specifications are very similar to the standards of Snell, which is another helmet standard-setting organization, and are comparable to the Snell "SA" rating.
Sportsman Helmets: Helmets meeting SFI Specifications 41.1 (Open Face) and SFI 41.2 (Closed Face) are tested to the same requirements as Competition Helmets, with the exception of flame testing. This allows for a more economical helmet, with no loss of performance in a non-fire situation. These helmets are comparable to the Snell "M" rating

Also,,,,,

http://www.ehow.com/info_7809247_dra...uirements.html
See my last Comment above - Organizations use a 1 or 2 Cycle Rule. I'm still using my SA 2005, but within a Couple of Months of the 2015s coming out, it will be obsolete.

I agree with another comment, that if a Helmet is ever dropped or in an Accident, it becomes a memento. Don't ever use it again. It may look OK, but it is Not.

T.C.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:52 PM

Did you guys know SCCA SOLO rules will accept an "M" rated helmet? It surprised me when I found that out. I have an M2000 helmet that is actually still legal in SCCA SOLO events until the 2015 standard comes out. "M" rated helmets are also DOT rated.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by TheJDMan; 01-29-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
Did you guys know SCCA SOLO rules will accept an "M" rated helmet? It surprised me when I found that out. I have an M2000 helmet that is actually still legal in SCCA SOLO events until the 2015 standard comes out. "M" rated helmets are also DOT rated.

M is for motorcycles....

That fact certainly doesn't make them a bad helmet for low speed autocross events.

Just don't try to get one past an official at a road race track.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM

Don't go cheap on safety, even if you are in a closed cockpit car. Make sure you try them on first before buying. The last think you want is to be uncomfortable or distracted by safety equipment when you are trying to push your own skill limits.

My new Stilo I picked up two weeks ago:
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2014, 09:05 PM

That pic is worth a million bucks right there!!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:29 PM

Does anyone know why the competitors in WRC wear those open face helmets with integrated microphones instead of a true full face helmet?
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by TheJDMan; 02-01-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
Does anyone know why the competitors in WRC wear those open face helmets with integrated microphones instead of a true full face helmet?
Probably, so if the Radio fails, the Navigator can yell & the Driver can hear him. It doesn't help if they go flying off course into the Trees
Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 PM

Does anybody know of any sources for SA rated helmets in the East Bay Area?
I definately want to try it on before i buy one....same thing with the gloves....
Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 AM

Take a little trip this weekend and go over to Sonoma Raceway -- WINE COUNTRY SPORTS has a store right there with a ton of helmets - all levels from $300 to 4000.... they have driver shoes -- gloves -- all of that stuff. It's a pretty well equipped store. I think they have one on the east side there IIRC.

Don't spend a huge amount of money on your first helmet. Just make sure it's COMFORTABLE. You don't need a carbon fiber version for 20 minute sessions. Although I bought one there last year because it was a close out and I got a smokin' price on it.

Three things that I think are important -- decent helmet - DRIVING SHOES - gloves.... Driving on the track - you need sensory input... Driving shoes help with that. Some stores will make up a "package" for you or offer packages -- driver suit - shoes - gloves - helmet and some of them are real reasonable.