Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-18-2008, 10:25 PM

Default Fasterpatricks Custom Cobra Replica

This is the story of my build, This starts over three years ago, I will try to get this story up to date as fast as possible;

Well, most of the stuff to get the build started is here. Now let the lunacy transpire. This frame promises not to be original style but more of a hybred of sorts. Read way to many chassis books and head still spinning for details now.

Patrick
Old 10-18-2008, 10:28 PM

Hey everyone,
Look what happened, while everyones out driving around I'm in the shop working. Just a few photos of what I've been up to.

Patrick
Old 10-18-2008, 10:29 PM

Hey sever crash wont stop us, reposted pics from Saturday. Have been cutting parts Sunday and Mon. eve. Yes the framework sticks back far but it will all come out in the wash, you'll see. She's going to fuel 289 style with the tank sitting on that framework.

see we're right back where we were. Patrick
Old 10-18-2008, 10:32 PM

We all know that scratch building requiers dedicaton or a whole lot of money. I'm cheap so this is every bracket/tab to hold my rear suspension together. It took me a week of evenings in 90deg. heat to cut, drill, and finish the lot. But satisfaction rate is very high. Now to cut and bend the tubing and I could get it on the car this week, in the same heat.
Patrick
Old 10-18-2008, 10:33 PM

Huge piece of the puzzle was accomplished. Five days off from work and lots of time in the shop and victory was mine. Just some minor lose ends to finish up and it should be done.
The Accomplishment

The Aftermath

I'm not even going to clean-up tonight just shove every thing out of the way, and do that tomarrow.
Patrick
Old 10-18-2008, 10:34 PM

Well spent a little time measuring and making adjustments to the mess. Found a few bugs, the center section was 5/32s out of center, fixed that, axles bound at full droop,needed new upper shock mounts to rectify that now they bind at full compress, not a problem once bumpstops are installed. Now the numbers, droop from ride height 4" total wheel travel till axels bind is 8 3/8" but doubt all that will be needed will make bumpstop addjustment with the body installed. No need to do that twice, will stop travel just before the wheels hit the body.
Full Droop

Full Compress(or at least to where the axels bind)

trying to stay cool: Patrick
Old 10-18-2008, 10:39 PM

Well, busy people have limited time. And kids don't help either, enough said. I have some stuff to show you. Take a look tell me what you think. These are pre debuging so there are some small things left to fix.

OH Yea! there is always one flaming hoop to jump through.

Now I should go, try to clean up, fix stuff, make umteen gussetts, and get ready to weld this all solid.
Patrick
Old 10-18-2008, 10:41 PM

What?
metal will distort when welded, really.(just kidding) Ya took care to do just that, not the first time I've stumbled down that trail. Wouldn't want to micro measure it now, heard some realy big bangs from tacks breaking loose but all looks to have came out well.

The welding took well over seven hours, welder was acting finicky, but I won. Cleanup took another four. I'm putting it all together right know.
Patrick
Old 10-18-2008, 10:43 PM

Well, I've got it all together and she did move around a bit, but nothing that shimming at final four wheel alinement can't cure, I'm realy happy with what I've got. There is one issue to deal with but I'm not talking.

Now to drop the body on and start headscratchin, look for a block and tranny for mockup and general stuff like that. Well I've got to get some sleep, kids start school tomarrow.
Patrick
Old 10-18-2008, 10:44 PM

Here mick, Some body on photos. Had to make struts so the suspension would be at ride height, then drape the body at the proper height.

Sorry there will never be the VROOM-VROOM photo I'll wait till there is a seat in the car for that.
Patrick