Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 PM

Lol, i hope everyone realizes the "mind numbingpower" statement was sarcasm. But yeah this thing moves.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:57 PM

i was too scared to tell anyone on the board that my daily driver is a 2003 spicy speed. i don't know what i was thinking when i bought it but pretty much fell in love with the color. on top of that i swore i'd never own a ford product being such a huge chevy fan......jokes on me i guess....hahahh......but i blame GM for me buying the speed. if they had made the SS Silverado as they had shown with the concept that's what i'd be driving instead of the speed. long story short, welcome.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 PM

The speed isnt a ford product. Its 99.8% japanese parts. The only thing it shares with any ford is it has the same 2.0 liter block as the 2nd gen probes, but they were really reskinned mx6's. Honestly, i loved my speed. Its just not for those of us with little patience and a light wallet. I have a few buddies who have built speeds and they are a blast.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:24 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_454 View Post
sounds like a nice project, im personally not a big fan of front wheel drive cars as project viechles, ive had my fair share of them, i just dont like the way thet behave once you get on the power or try and corner...

its a pretty car though and with the mods it will look asweome...

explain one thing though, what is a 5 way adjustable shock... i can see adjusting compression and rebound.... then what are the other 3 parameters..??

anyway, post more pics im curious to see a build of this kind... so less names dropping and more pics, some of us dont have a clue about what is the **** on a jap car when it comes to aftermarket parts...
======================================
If your interested, check out the 4 way adjustable shocks at the, Penske Shock Website.

They are really impressive, unfortunately impressive and $$$$ are always in the same sentence.

Enjoy,

Ty
Ty O'Neal
"She Devil" aka. Betty
1969/70 Camaro SS
427 LS3, 600
Keisler Road and Track T-56
Full size 3 link and custom roll cage
315mm tires on rear, should fit the same on front. Worked to design a more effective shape.
======================
"Chester's '65"
1965 Buick Riviera
Aiming for true PT Status with
the best available from the 70's and 80's
======================
Old 07-31-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosiv View Post
As for as cornering, this thing is NOT confidence inspiring at all and it tends to "wiggle" a bit at speeds above 120mph. Im not sure how far this car will be modded

Strano Valved Bilstein Shocks
Strano Lowering Springs
A stick-axle panhard bar car will always feel a little different than anything with IRS. But you've already found a very good source for 4th Gen F-body parts and information in Sam Strano. Give him a call, he'll discuss matters at some length.

My gut feel is that the car still has the OE DeCarbon shocks on it.

FWIW, my sort-of-current autocross car is a 626 (1995, V6, stick). Avatar pic notwithstanding.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-31-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:40 PM

When you put the cam in buy a stall converter that matches it.
Your car will feel like you added 100hp and you will have a perma grin the rest of the week.
Just remember Torque multiplication is your friend!
Old 07-31-2009, 03:56 PM

Yeah im looking at torque converters as well, ive decided to wait a bit longer on go fast parts and focus on the suspension and brakes, also the seats are showing 90k miles of wear so im ordering some repro oem replica seat covers to redo the current ones.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
A stick-axle panhard bar car will always feel a little different than anything with IRS. But you've already found a very good source for 4th Gen F-body parts and information in Sam Strano. Give him a call, he'll discuss matters at some length.

My gut feel is that the car still has the OE DeCarbon shocks on it.

FWIW, my sort-of-current autocross car is a 626 (1995, V6, stick). Avatar pic notwithstanding.

Norm

And yeah, it still has a set of oem orange delphis on it, they arent bad but they arent good. I havent gotten ballsy to go shooting through twisties with the traction control off yet and i dont plan to until i get some better suspension under this thing. Id like to take it open road course racing this fall.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Trust me, you'll change your mind on the decarbons once you put the bilsteins on. The stock Fbody shocks are that bad. Sam will set you up correctly. I dealt with him on my Formula back when I could afford to autox. He knows how to make a 4th gen move through the corners. Check out www.frrax.com for more on the 3rd/4th gens and making them handle.

Good luck with it all.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 08-01-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosiv View Post
And yeah, it still has a set of oem orange delphis on it, they arent bad but they arent good. I havent gotten ballsy to go shooting through twisties with the traction control off yet and i dont plan to until i get some better suspension under this thing. Id like to take it open road course racing this fall.
I wasn't aware that traction control was available on those cars - then again the only time I've driven one was an LS-motored Firebird at an autocross. Once. They're actually quite easy to drive hard once sorted a bit - with the possible exception of the brake hop that some of those cars can get. FRRAX is also a good resource and I'd have mentioned it myself except that I'm really new around here.

With respect to using traction control - try to get yourself away from it. It will mask what happens up around where you really need to know what happens in response to what you ask the car to do. I have it on my '08 Mustang GT, and I try like hell to remember to turn it off every single time I start that car up. Relying on the electronics is to let somebody else (the system programmers and their preferences/corporate criteria) interfere with the way you'd yourself drive.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-01-2009 at 08:43 AM.