Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 PM

Thanked 1,391 Times in 517 Posts

I was working on my race car today and had it on my 4 post with the jack like Jody posted holdong up the rear end while I had the rear wheels off and it is so easy. To recommend a 2 post to the home user seems wrong. How many home users know the proper lift points on cars ? How many home users know how thick their slab is ?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill
I was working on my race car today and had it on my 4 post with the jack like Jody posted holdong up the rear end while I had the rear wheels off and it is so easy. To recommend a 2 post to the home user seems wrong. How many home users know the proper lift points on cars ? How many home users know how thick their slab is ?
I Do and I know. I use a 2 post all day at work. That is why I put a 2 post in at home. I do alot of side work and to try and do timing belts on front wheel drive cars or front axles is a pain on a 4 post. 4 post are good for storage,alignments or oil changes and brake jobs. I have even had problems doing exhaust on our 4 post.And as for as as home user not knowing proper lift points, I have seen a few roll off 4 posts when somebody forgets to put it back in park or the ebrake doesn't hold.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill
Charlie, these guys are not typical home users. If they can't set up a lift, well.... Slab thickness is a legit concern but I am sure there are ways to find out, or cut a hole & pour - I'd probably do that anyway for piece of mind to make sure it is deep enough and strong enough concrete. I've seen cars fall off lifts & it is not nice. But I don't see either being a deal breaker here.

I totally see reasons for both types, no doubt, and would never fault anyone's decision. But if I could only have one gimme a 2 post. Now, if I had room for 2, lol....

Scott-

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors
Old 11-07-2007, 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=Overkill]I bought a 4-post CL8000XLT [URL="http://www.completehydraulic.com/cl08000xl.html"]from Complete Hydraulic Service & Sales in Franklin, Indiana. QUOTE]

This is the same exact one I have been looking at as well. I want to pull the trigger but have no idea how I am going to unload this thing and put in my garage. How are you guys unloading the lifts when they weigh a ton, literally. This unit I'm interested in weighs 2000 lbs so how does one move it from the truck to the garage and then set up. In dire need of assistance. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Most places I've looked at include free delivery and set up. (located in the same City)
65 Impala SS
65 Corvair convert
64 Corvair Rampside
62 Corvair Greenbrier

http://www.sourceboards.com/

Last edited by monza; 11-08-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo
How are you guys unloading the lifts when they weigh a ton, literally. This unit I'm interested in weighs 2000 lbs so how does one move it from the truck to the garage and then set up. In dire need of assistance. Thanks in advance.
I luckily have a neighbor with a front-end loader on his tractor. I hauled the lift home on one of my car trailers and then backed it up close to the door. I then used an engine hoist on one end and the tractor on the other. I picked it up and pulled the truck/trailer out of the way and then slowly drove the tractor in the garage. My cousin came over and helped me set it up. It wasn't to bad with two people and the engine hoist to hold the runways up. It comes packaged pretty well and has metal brackets on each end holding everything together.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill
I luckily have a neighbor with a front-end loader on his tractor. I hauled the lift home on one of my car trailers and then backed it up close to the door. I then used an engine hoist on one end and the tractor on the other. I picked it up and pulled the truck/trailer out of the way and then slowly drove the tractor in the garage. My cousin came over and helped me set it up. It wasn't to bad with two people and the engine hoist to hold the runways up. It comes packaged pretty well and has metal brackets on each end holding everything together.

Well, unfortunately for me I don't have anyone near me with a front end loader. But I do have a cherry picker that would probably pick up a semi. It's a home made job. I guess I could go that route.

I will ask the company if they do set up as well but I don't think they do.
Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:23 PM

I've actually kind of been in the market for one to buy as a gift for my dad... I plan on using it a lot though

Does anyone know what the normal cieling height requirement is to have a 4 post lift, and be able to have room for another car under it? Thanks!
Old 11-10-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo
Well, unfortunately for me I don't have anyone near me with a front end loader. But I do have a cherry picker that would probably pick up a semi. It's a home made job. I guess I could go that route.

I will ask the company if they do set up as well but I don't think they do.
Thanks for the responses guys.
I unloaded mine with a cherry picker. Had no problems, Just do one end at a time. I also installed it myself and wired it. Very easy and works great!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill steez
I've actually kind of been in the market for one to buy as a gift for my dad... I plan on using it a lot though

Does anyone know what the normal cieling height requirement is to have a 4 post lift, and be able to have room for another car under it? Thanks!
Depends on the height of the vehicle on top, but with my '05 2500HD on the lift and another parked underneath, I come close to the 14 foot rafters in my shop. I haven't measured to see how close it is, but it's within about 6" or so. If it were just cars it would be considerably less height required.