Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 05-11-2008, 11:18 AM

1. Congrats- further proof that you're never too old- PERIOD. How are you hoping to apply your degree?

2. Lowboy- Time to go back & finish, brother. There are so many different programs that make it more convenient (notice I didn't say easy) for those wanting to go back. If you do your homework, there is usually grant money available to offset the cost as well.

3. I tried my hand at college after high school, but I had my priorities all messed up. I completely wasted a great opportunity at an engineering degree @ Michigan, but my car hobby and some really bad women got to me (that really means I had my head up my ass). After 1.5 years there, I had enough of trying to keep up with my friends who were more prepared than me, so a buddy and I joined the Navy together. These days, i'm active duty military (20yrs), and have finished my BBA (finance) and MBA (Project management) by doing what I could, when I could. There is always a small price to pay for every step you take, but it's been worth it. Half of the reason I did it was to set the example for my kids. I'm not trying to show them that college is the only way, but instead have tried to show them that you have to work hard for what you want. OK- I've also done it to better prepare myself for retirement, but that's what I need to do to take care of my family anyway, right?

To some of you reading this- your employer can help offset the cost of your schooling, and it offers them certain tax benefits as well. Think of it as a win-win for both of you.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:42 PM

Congrats!

I guess this falls under the "better late than never" catagory. lol.

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 05-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Good job. Hard to go back after than much vacation.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 05-11-2008, 04:08 PM

Thanks for all the kind words Guys. Yes it was very hard to go back, but it was very well worth it. I had the benefit also of a great company that I work for that paid all the tuition and put me in a consultant role. This allowed me to draw regular salary while being able to skip out a couple of hours everyweek to complete my courses. I already had the experience and the know how, and this gives me the degree to go with it which = more $$$$. You are never too old for anything if you decide to do it. I will stay on with the company (Agricultural product Retailer) in an expanded role in the future. Thanks Again.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:58 PM

im already getting a plan setup.. AA by xmas 09 and a possibly a BA by shortly after that.

get wytoech knocked out and a small buisness either AA or BA.. havent really had the time to do it while inthe navy.. the navy chapter is coming to a close for me. time to get college to back up and enforce alot of what i know and learn some more.
U.S. Navy 2000-2008
Old 05-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Supporting Member

Congrats as well!!

I know it's hard o go back. I managed to get my BBA in Finance at Tx Tech, then I wanted to hit the world instead of getting my MBA right off.(Duh!)

I waited 7 years, then went back at night school and got it. It was a challenge, but no regrets, I'll always have it.

I still have a similar issue however, I waited another 7 years and started my Ph.d program. (I'm a slow learner, ironically speaking) Got through 88 hrs., Finished my Dissertation Research, but had two classes and my comprehensives to go through and had to pull out because of a Car wreck.

S**T! I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it now. (Still working with a head injury)

Lesson to be learned:

Haul Ass and get everything out of life you can, while you can. Tomorrow you may not be able too. (Hint, Hint for everyone who wants to finish their Schooling)

Learn from others screw ups.

Ty
Ty O'Neal
"She Devil" aka. Betty
1969/70 Camaro SS
427 LS3, 600
Keisler Road and Track T-56
Full size 3 link and custom roll cage
315mm tires on rear, should fit the same on front. Worked to design a more effective shape.
======================
"Chester's '65"
1965 Buick Riviera
Aiming for true PT Status with
the best available from the 70's and 80's
======================
Old 05-14-2008, 08:42 PM

Congrats I to just finished up an AA degree in supervisory management, not sure if I'm going to go on or not. My co paid for me to go as well but I don't think I'm going to move up any farther than I am now if I continue on thats why I'm up in the air about going on.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Supporting Member

Congratulations. That's the hardest way to do - juggling job, family and school. It takes a lot of perseverance. Way to go!!