Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 09-11-2006, 02:32 AM
Supporting Member

Default STS Turbo System's, Yea or Nea?

To All:

Looking at different Turbo Charging possibilities. I wanted to get any information any of you have regarding the, "Squires Turbo Systems", single and Twin Turbo Charging Systems.

http://www.ststurbo.com

In a different post I asked about engine Builders for the Banks TT System. Well in a similar way what information do any of you have, Pro or Con with this System and/or Company?

It would seem this might be a good fit for Turbo Charging any of the LSx Engine platforms since many of the other systems are just for sbc's.

Any thoughts, experience directly or indirectly are welcome.

I'm looking forward to your post.

Thanks again for all of your efforts in answering my many questions.

Regards,

tyoneal
Old 09-11-2006, 02:54 AM

One thing I noticed is that in the dyno sheet for the ls1 it looks like it falls on its face after 5500 RPM. I have no experience with their setup and have never heard of the company before this thread. It sure seems like the people on this site that are running TWIN turbos are making a lot more power.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:45 AM

There are sts systems making HUGE power now. The front mount will make more power and have a massive bling factor. The rear mount has less clutter in the engine bay. The cost of both systems will be a wash. A typical front mount will make about 900 hp out of the box, a rear mount needs massive upgrades to make the same power, so in the end they cost about the same. A rear mount is also louder due to not having a muffler. You also lose dual exhaust unless you rig up a fake one or do dual rear mounts.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:41 AM

First off I don't claim to be a turbo expert at all. But you would think that putting the turbos way out back would lose the heat that the turbos run off of. The tail pipes get hot enough to burn you but not the 1500 degrees that you can get right out of the cylinder head at full power.

Do they run different impelars or something to compensate for the loss of heat or do they just not even holod acandle to under hood kits?

Rodger
Old 09-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Good point, Rodger. From what I've read in books about turbo theory, it's the heat energy that spools the turbo, not the air moving through it. I would think you'd loose a lot of energy beteern the head and the rear of the car.

That said, there are plenty of people using the STS kit and making good power... but I don't know what type of lag they see. I would think that would be the biggest detriment.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 AM

You are both correct, that is a huge factor. Typically a STS power curve is up higher due to more lag them a front mount. I also hear there is a noticable difference in spool and power with an sts, after the turbo gets hot it makes more power and spools faster. Most guys are getting the pipes coated and then wrap the snot out of them to keep all the heat in. If you are going to spend the money and want 800 hp, go front mount. similar cost, more power, more bling, more return value. I do not have first hand with a rear mount, but I have a ton with a front mount and am very happy with everything.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:40 AM

Have you guys seen this. LOL

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1493314
Old 09-11-2006, 02:19 PM

The STS systems do work but are not ideal from an efficiency standpoint; lots of thermal energy (and therefore exhaust volume and velocity) is lost by the time it gets back to the turbo, you have a much greater contained exhaust volume upstream of the exhaust housing so there's more compressibility which hurts spool time, then you have the extended piping running from the compressor side of the turbo up to the engine, etc.

Do they work? No doubt, but they aren't as efficient as a turbo mounted closer to the engine. They are easier to package and that is the big appeal to them. Also, they sound pretty cool as there is usually only 2' or so of exhaust pipe past the turbo, it's crazy loud whistling out the exhaust.

My biggest worries about them is the electric oil scavenge pump and the air filter mounted under the vehicle.

Last edited by Blown353; 09-11-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:05 PM

I agree, many people have had oiling issues. I also feel mounting the filter behind the rear tires is no good!!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrorocket
There are sts systems making HUGE power now. The front mount will make more power and have a massive bling factor. The rear mount has less clutter in the engine bay. The cost of both systems will be a wash. A typical front mount will make about 900 hp out of the box, a rear mount needs massive upgrades to make the same power, so in the end they cost about the same. A rear mount is also louder due to not having a muffler. You also lose dual exhaust unless you rig up a fake one or do dual rear mounts.
Nitrorocket:

What LS1 TT set up are you running?

Thanks,

tyoneal